Upgrade thoughts, D50 to D200

Associate
I'm considering an upgrade to a D200, but can't help thinking it may be false economy.
My main issue with the D50 is the image quality which may be partly my technique,or lack of....Some pictures come out great, good detail etc but some just seem to lack detail and I feel the D200 would produce more detail?

As for lenses I've just bought a Sigma 10-20mm and the Nikon 50mm F1.8. I cant say I'm that impressed with the 50mm lens....possibly my technique...I've also got the kit 18-55mm and 70-300mm G lens. May change the 18-55mm for a 18-70mm in the near future.

I also think the handling of the D200 with the battery grip would be better.

Any thoughts from those that have taken this upgrade route?

Soldato
I had a D50 for 3 months before getting a D200, and never ever looked back. You should be able to pick one up pretty cheap (I'm guessing the D300 is out of your pricerange). It's an absolute joy to use, the ergonomics are simply stunning.

Only real downside is that the noise handling at high ISOs isn't great (I hate going over ISO 200).

Of course, it still won't make up for sloppy technique!

Soldato
A D200 won't really produce a massive increase in image quality, it's all the other things that will improve (handling, ergonomics, build quality, features etc.).

Associate
I went from the D70 to the D200 because I'd convinced myself my photos would improve......

Guess what... they didn't.

However, my technique has improved as I've been learning and so eventually it was worth the move. I didn't use a battery grip, I never had the need.

Since then I've upgraded to the D300 which I think personally is much better than the D200... Higher ISOs are great.. I never used to go above 400 on my D200.

Now, whether you need to upgrade is up to you.

Also, I'm not sure you of your level of knowledge, but the D200/D300 does not have mode functions such as Landscape, Portrait, Sports etc, it just has PASM - which of course is all you need so long as you know how.

Associate
OP
Good point RV, I know my pictures won't improve overnight and this is why I'm more inclined to hone my technique on the D50 and save up for the D300. I seem to have a habit of talking myself out of purchases....:)

Associate
I went from a D70s to a D200 and as has already been said the big improvements are in the handling which is way way better. Everything is perfectly to hand with far less menu fiddling. It's nigh on perfect. The viewfinder in larger, brighter with more useful info like ISO speed too.
The only downside you will notice is the battery life but saying that the battery meter is more accurate & informative.

Associate
That's the thing. Your shots wont get better using a better camera. Not that I'm talking about your shots, as I have never seen them :D

As said though, basically everything about the camera gets better. If you need to upgrade, then do. If not, perhaps spend the money on better glass if you are not quite happy with your current collection.

Bare in mind one last thing. On a seperate forum (of which I assume I'm not allowed to link too? aint been on here in a while, not sure if the rules have changed or what ever), most of the shots are quite breath taking. Yet when you look at the camera used to take them, the vast majority are taken with entry level (D50, 350D etc etc) DSLRs.

Associate
D50 to D200

Just done that myself, the quality of the d200 is inspiring and very good ones are going second hand for £500 half the cost of a d300, almost the same body and feel, could not justify the cost of a 300 maybe when the 400 comes out. still enjoy both cameras but only use the 200 after getting used to the weight !
go for it .

Back
Top Bottom