Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Another crash report. :(

Came off yesterday on the commute at about 30mph. Was at the base of a hill having ridden down another, doing 30mph in top gear. Stood up on the pedals to keep the momentum going and the chain snapped. :o

Not a lot I could do really, my weight just fell straight down next thing I know I'm skidding along on the road with the bike on top of me. Bike is completely unscathed, I'm missing skin on my knees, elbows knuckles and right shoulder. I'm feeling bloody sore this morning. :D

Permabanned

Came off yesterday on the commute at about 30mph. Was at the base of a hill having ridden down another, doing 30mph in top gear. Stood up on the pedals to keep the momentum going and the chain snapped. :o

Not a lot I could do really, my weight just fell straight down next thing I know I'm skidding along on the road with the bike on top of me. Bike is completely unscathed, I'm missing skin on my knees, elbows knuckles and right shoulder. I'm feeling bloody sore this morning. :D

Damn!

Get better soon mate, that sounded nasty.

Associate
Time for some more off topic stuff \o/

Was out on the local common area (Royden park, Thurstaston, Caldy hill to anyone from around here) yesterday evening, just riding along, little bit craggy, knobbly roots everywhere and all that, shouldn't really be an issue... Then my rear axle snapped.

So after a fun 4 mile walk with a bike over my shoulders, I got home. Had a look at it, completely buggered. Took it to the shop this morning, the nice chap said it shouldn't have happened at all, and he's gonna get it sorted out for late next week. But I will have to pay as it's just out of warranty. ¬_¬

Now I've not really been into biking before, only had the bike (It's a Claud Butler somethingortheother.. silver, disc brakes, 3*7 gears, front suspension, hardtail) for a paper round, which I finished last September. But in the past few months, mainly due to the good weather, and me finally realising how awesome off-road biking is, I've really gotten back into it.

Thing is, my current bike (sans wheel) isn't that great, really. So I'm looking for a new bike. I've been looking around, but as I'm fairly new to this, I'm not really getting far in terms of personal knowledge :p. So, rather than going back to the shop and asking there, 'cause frankly, I think they'd try and screw me over, I'm gonna pitch my question to you lot. You all seem far more knowledgeable anyway, than a 19y/o chav in a bike shop.

I'm after a good mountain bike. Front and rear suspension, sturdy and tough enough for a good thrash about the common/woods, lots of gears, 'cause it's rather hilly around here, not too heavy, and anything else you can think of that I've missed out.

Obviously, I don't want something that's absolutely top notch. Mainly because they seem to cost several grand, but I am looking to spend around £500, preferably under.

I just want a bike that is sturdy (obviously I'll take care of it, too :p), a good ride, and will do me for a good while until I'm ready to upgrade parts, or move onto something bigger and better.

I'm 6'2 and of average build, if you need to know that, too :p

Cheers muchly :)

Oh, also, while I'm at it, what can you get in terms of puncture protection/prevention?

Ta.

Soldato
500 quid on a full suspension won't be decent I'm afraid. I'd stick with a hardtail for that sort of money, components will be much better and less likely to break - unless you get something secondhand.

Soldato
If the bottom bracket is ok, I think you'd probably be ok fitting the crankset yourself as it's just a simple case of tightening some bolts. However, make sure you ask them to remove the right side crank arm for you as you need a crank extractor for doing that.

Fitting bottom bracket is a job for professionals as for a proper fit, the thread needs to be re-cut and the surface re-faced to make sure an absolutely perfect fit.

If it's anywhere less than perfect, your bottom bracket won't last as long. Hence it is usual for them to charge ~£30 labour to refit a bottom bracket. But if you are not planning to keep the bike/frame for long, buy the tool and do it yourself.

Btw, the dust wipers on your forks have come off, you might want to clean, regrease and put it back on because dirt will get inside your forks if you don't.

SORTED!! :D

£11 for a new crank and bolt, they fitted it all for me and tightened up the bottom bracket as it was wobbling around inside the frame.

Hurrah!

Soldato

Ouch, had a few chains snap but never fell off because of it yet :p Just a pain in the rear when one finally goes...

Soldato

Was out on the local common area (Royden park, Thurstaston, Caldy hill to anyone from around here) yesterday evening, just riding along, little bit craggy, knobbly roots everywhere and all that, shouldn't really be an issue... Then my rear axle snapped.

So after a fun 4 mile walk with a bike over my shoulders, I got home. Had a look at it, completely buggered. Took it to the shop this morning, the nice chap said it shouldn't have happened at all, and he's gonna get it sorted out for late next week. But I will have to pay as it's just out of warranty. ¬_¬

Now I've not really been into biking before, only had the bike (It's a Claud Butler somethingortheother.. silver, disc brakes, 3*7 gears, front suspension, hardtail) for a paper round, which I finished last September. But in the past few months, mainly due to the good weather, and me finally realising how awesome off-road biking is, I've really gotten back into it.

Thing is, my current bike (sans wheel) isn't that great, really. So I'm looking for a new bike. I've been looking around, but as I'm fairly new to this, I'm not really getting far in terms of personal knowledge :p. So, rather than going back to the shop and asking there, 'cause frankly, I think they'd try and screw me over, I'm gonna pitch my question to you lot. You all seem far more knowledgeable anyway, than a 19y/o chav in a bike shop.

I'm after a good mountain bike. Front and rear suspension, sturdy and tough enough for a good thrash about the common/woods, lots of gears, 'cause it's rather hilly around here, not too heavy, and anything else you can think of that I've missed out.

Obviously, I don't want something that's absolutely top notch. Mainly because they seem to cost several grand, but I am looking to spend around £500, preferably under.

I just want a bike that is sturdy (obviously I'll take care of it, too :p), a good ride, and will do me for a good while until I'm ready to upgrade parts, or move onto something bigger and better.

Oh, also, while I'm at it, what can you get in terms of puncture protection/prevention?

Ta.

What bike do you actually have in terms of biking its probably fine to have a good laugh on anyway without spending any money.

For £500 dont get a full sus bike :).

I'm still riding a Spec Hard Rock XC '03, although its been through a few upgrades so its not a perfect example of how bikes can last a long time, but my point is you don't need to waste money on the latest and greatest to have a good time. Save it for now, if you ever feel held bike a lot by the bike (and not you're fitness) look into it then :)

Man of Honour

Ta.

A low end competent full susser is going to come in around the 1k mark and speaking of which they tested a few in this months MBR magazine maye worth a buy for you if your seriously considering it other wise a fairly well specced hardtail will suit your budget best.

Associate
Just found the receipt.

It's a Claud Butler Pagan D2 2007.

I'll stick with it, I'm just not convinced it's going to live through the summer, frankly, so if it does go, I want to know what to go for as a replacement, really.

So with rear sus out of the question, £500 for a decent hardtail? Same as I specced above, but minus rear sus? Possible?

Soldato
Just found the receipt.

I'll stick with it, I'm just not convinced it's going to live through the summer, frankly, so if it does go, I want to know what to go for as a replacement, really.

So with rear sus out of the question, £500 for a decent hardtail? Same as I specced above, but minus rear sus? Possible?

You won't get much better than a GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc for £500 unless you go second hand, for the money it's rated exceptionally well.

Don
You won't get much better than a GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc for £500 unless you go second hand, for the money it's rated exceptionally well.

Talking of which...

I'm waiting for this to be delivered this week, can't wait :D

pfullsize_745_1191838709.jpg

Soldato
Ordered a new road frame back in February, finally got delivered this week. Moved the groupo across from my other road frame.

A teaser:
IMG_1118.jpg

Still need to cut the steerer, probably going to remove the decals from the wheels, swap the red on the cages for black.

IMG_1116.jpg

Soldato
Wowzers... what were you Just Riding Along on?! Did you do any damage to anything else or just the wheel?

In other news; i'm looking for an online parts store. who do you use? BMX specifically, but most places do all sizes anyway eh. (sorry, cba with a new thread just for that little question)

alansbmx.com - best customer service for online shop EVER

edit - i see thats already been said

the lass who used to do the email replys kelly, is a legend

Last edited:
Soldato
Ordered a new road frame back in February, finally got delivered this week. Moved the groupo across from my other road frame.

A teaser:
http://www.6thelement.net/bike/IMG_1118.jpg[img]

Still need to cut the steerer, probably going to remove the decals from the wheels, swap the red on the cages for black.

[img]http://www.6thelement.net/bike/IMG_1116.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

How do you afford all these bikes!? :eek::(

Associate

A teaser:
IMG_1118.jpg

Dude you need bike therapy! :D

I really like how the carbon weave on the crank matches that of the frame.

How do you rate SRAM Force? Im getting a Trek built up with it in a few weeks am and very much looking forward to learning this double tap funkery. I have previously only used Shimano.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just found the receipt.

Why won't it last through the summer? If something needs repairing repair it, its cheaper than buying a whole new bike, and instead of just repairing it, upgrade it, that what i do. My bike "does the job" and has done for years, the money i've spent on it i probably could have spent on a whole new 2k bike now, but its been over the course of years so its not really comparable, plus a few hundred every so often is easier on the wallet than a 2k smack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom