How much faster is Raid0 compared to Raid1

Associate
Just a simple question really.

Original plan was two 320Gb 7200.11's in Raid0 and two 500Gb F1's in Raid1.

But will the 320Gb drives be much faster in Raid0 than if I put them in Raid1 mode (so that if something did happen, I wouldnt need to worry about a pile of reinstalls).

I know that Raid0 is faster than drives used alone, and using a drive alone is faster than Raid1, but the question is, how noticable a difference will it be?

Associate
RAID1 can be a tad slower than a single drive.

Yeah if anything I'd expect it to be slightly slower, certainly no faster than a single drive.

I RAID1 with a pair of drives, benching beforehand showed one drive getting a slightly better transfer speed average, now in RAID1 the graph/speed resembles a mix of the two drives, the speed is inbetween the two seperate speeds and the speed graph's shape has prominent features of both :p

Soldato
Here's my benchmarks for 2x saegate 320gb 7200.10's in raid 1 and raid0
RAID 1
hdtuneraid1.PNG

RAID0:
hdtuneraid0.PNG

Don
in 'theory' raid0 is twice the speed of a single drive, and raid1 'should' be slightly slower than a single drive

the speed difference is noticable between raid0 and raid1

Soldato
The obvious difference is the purpose.

Raid 0 is for speed, if one of the drives fail the volume cannot be recovered.

Raid 1 is for availability, if one of the drives fail then the volume can still be accessed.

Either way - all forms of RAID are for availability as they're not a substitute for a backup regime.

Associate
OP
I'd say its a pretty good way of backing up :p

Not 100% because it could be possible for both drives to die, but im guessing it isnt that likely

I think I may just go with two Raid1 arrays, I dont think the speed would be that noticable in practice, been using a WD Raptor for a few years and it never seemed that much quicker than a normal 7,200 drive.

Don
the raid controller failing.. a corrupt memory stick gashing the data on the drives

you should always have at least one backup on another drive / media

raid1 in the home is generally pointless imo..

edit.
err, and what he said ^^

Associate
raid1 'should' be slightly slower than a single drive

Depends on the controller, most motherboard based RAID systems will see this kind of performance, but decent RAID controllers that normally have a dedicated CPU/RAM will offer significantly faster read performance than that of a single drive.....write performance will be the same however.

Back
Top Bottom