• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade an X1800XT with £100 max budget

Associate
Basically i'm looking to upgrade my X1800XT to something a little newer with more punch but i've only got £100 max to spend is it possible to get a better card for that money or should i say is it worth it? & would i be better going for ATI or Nvidia ?

I play COD4 online & would like to play with everything maxed'ish if possible

Associate
OP
Basically i'm looking to upgrade my X1800XT to something a little newer with more punch but i've only got £100 max to spend is it possible to get a better card for that money or should i say is it worth it? & would i be better going for ATI or Nvidia ?

I play COD4 online & would like to play with everything maxed'ish if possible

How would that perform Against my 1800XT ?

And also which would be better the 8800GT or the 9800Gt

Last edited:
Caporegime
The 8800 GT would totally destroy the x1800 XT, its way, way faster, i went from an x1800 XT 512mb to an old 8800 GTS 320mb, and even that was more than double it, then i went to the GT from that which totally annihilated it, the performance increase will be bloody mahoosive, adn that price of £105.74 is ******* amazing. :D

The 8800 GT is also better than the 9600 GT. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thats the 9600 GT, which is slower than the 8800 GT, it came in as the old 8600 GTS replacement (which it destroys), and also came in below the 8800 GT, as it has less stream processors, its still a stonking card as well though, and not really that much slower than the 8800 GT in certain games. :)

Good review of the 9600 GT here :- http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_9600_gt_performance/

Id still get the 8800 GT though, as its only a fiver more.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thats the 9600 GT, which is slower than the 8800 GT, it came in as the old 8600 GTS replacement (which it destroys), and also came in below the 8800 GT, as it has less stream processors, its still a stonking card as well though, and not really that much slower than the 8800 GT in certain games. :)

Ahh it's all in the detail :p

Cheers the the help guys i think i'll try my luck with the 8800 :D

Soldato
VeNT the 8800GT's lifespan will depend on what you do with it.

if you want to play graphically demanding games on a 30" monitors native res with a very high FPS or if you decide to kill it by ocing it to a stupid speed then it wont really last 18 months but if you are willing to accept that depending on what res you game at, the card may be less able to cope with games in the future as the minimum spec needed for good framerates increase and you are able to cope with a possible drop in res ,FPS or picture quality then i think it can last 18+ months.

Back
Top Bottom