Coolest gaming moment for you?

Soldato
When we came 2/3rd place i forget which at i26 on battlefield 2, absolutely bladdered and feeling sick, i shot an anti-aircraft gun at a dingy full of team members (opposite team) my team won the match.

Legendary Moment.

Associate
Some of the dramatic moments from the Darkness I thought were very cool and rank right up there for me

e.g

1) Near the start where you have a kiss and cuddle and can watch the whole of 'To Kill A Mockingbird' on the TV.

2) The twist about half way through where you get to watch something terrible happening but are helpless to stop it - very emotional.

3) The end

Man of Honour
Cueing up for the N64 on the day of its release. Another memorable moment was the first time I realised I could play my SNES games on my pc, that felt awesome, I think it was 1998.

Soldato
Sliding to a stop near the edge of a cliff in the warthog whilst my gunner was on the minigun in Halo.The way the warthog physics worked,the shell casings coming from the gun and the dirt effect off the wheels.WOW
I had just bought a new TV and 5.1 setup.I can remember siting back in my chair with my jaw on the floor.
I was stoned at the time,but i will always remember that few seconds of gaming.

Nice thread,its good to hear what people love about gaming instead of all the bitching that goes on here sometimes.

Last edited:
Associate
switching on thermal vision as Predator for the first time in AVP1, hearing the heartbeat sounds :)

pretty much any game of COH with artillery involved

all of the FFVII cutscenes

cant think of any more...

Soldato
bah, you young wipper snappers not know what a true fanboy fight is all about - our generation invented it ;) Fighting over C64, Speccy or erm... Amstrad - then there was always some gimp who's Mum got mixed up and bought an Oric 1 :D

First couple of really cool memories were:-

• Playing Elite for the first time and being completely blown away by it - I read the book too which came with it, think it was called the Dark Wheel, so I was living the moment.
  • The music from Parrallax on C64 used to send shivers down my spine while it was loading.
  • Flying the Cheese as high as you could go on Mercenary and then jumping out. <------ let's see who remembers that one ;)

More recent cool moments:-

• The two cinamatic moments in COD4 + the air to ground support mission.
  • First time I played GTA III.
  • First time I played Vice City and got on a Motorbike
  • The opening scene of Half Life
  • First time I played CS online

This post has particually made me smile.. no1 Cos I had an Oric though fortunately it was quickly sold for a speccy !!and no2 Mercenary..

I think Mercenary was one of those moments that opened up the imagination to what is possible in game. Much the same as Elite... Its amazing, even with its very basic vectra graphics, how excting was it to get into the cheese !!!

Since we are going retro....

Most of Rob Hubbards old SID's still re-live the good old memories of playing on a crappy 14inch tv waiting 10mins for a game to load and being exciting at the graphics on a loading screen....

Paradroid was also another blow me away moment, as was playing way of the exploding fist for the first time... This was the turning point for me... Speccys couldn't even dream of titles such as paradroid and Way of the exploding fist.. Well they could, but just with beeps and colour clash... it was at that point I NEEDED a c64... Crash vs Zzap, now that was a proper console war !

Associate
"Opening cutscene for FFVII where the camera zooms out to show the scale of Midgar."

have to agree that is a classic !

Taking my tactical ops clan online to play in the jolt league on the PC. All tooled up with voice comms it was real tense stuff.

Clan Slobberknocker [SKR] rocked, we were No Swearing! but the rocked.

[SKR]Phoenix and myself [SKR]Abe are both members here.

others for me include...

Syndicate on the Amiga.
Playing Tekken on the PS1.

Soldato
Most of mine are opening sequences:

- Opening to Half-life: It was the first time I'd ever seen dynamic lighting in a game and it looked amazing. The sophistication of the story telling in Halflife was way above anything else before it.

- Opening to MGS: Swimming in, stealthily taking out the guards and then up the lift and into the snow-covered landscape above. Stunning.

- Opening to Dawn of War: It's CGI nonsense but great none-the-less. Definitely the best CGI intro I've ever seen to a game.

- Getting on a motorbike for the first time in GTA:VC: And dying several seconds later.

Soldato
Super Mario World on the SNES still looks great =/

It's the early 3D games that look poor.

Super Mario World on the SNES is a timeless masterpiece of the highest order and any negative comments against it is punishable by death!

You can load the game up and it still looks wonderful on the eyes, they have nailed the art perfectly and still smooth and gentle to look at. The same isn't for Mario 64 which makes it lose its legs after so long which is a shame, but alas, can't have everything! Same for OoT, amazing game but it's now a lot worse than the 2d Zeldas simply because the 3d graphics just can't hold up in today's age.

Soldato
ooh, ooh, mee mee mee - I nearly forgot one... the first time I took to the Skies in a GTA game was just awesome and blew me away - was in an RC chopper in GTA VC though not the proper copter.

I think Mercenary was one of those moments that opened up the imagination to what is possible in game. Much the same as Elite... Its amazing, even with its very basic vectra graphics, how excting was it to get into the cheese !!!
First sandbox style game when you think about it.

... Crash vs Zzap, now that was a proper console war !
Rockford > Thing on a Spring ;)

Associate
Have a few.

- FFVII: Gold saucer. That place just had me facinated. I was like "It has games within a game!"

-GTA: San Andreas: Skydiving with CJ.
Also liked Just Cause on the 360 for the aerial abilities.

-Shadow of the Collosus: Pretty much every fight was memorable but I especially enjoyed fighting the flying, centepede-like collosi.

- KOTOR: The Twist has got to be one of those moments where you get goosebumps as you just about figure it out before they announce it on screen...classic.

- Shenmue: The whole game felt very cool to me, I didn't want it to end.

- Mafia: Many moments, most of the missions were well constructed. Particularly the hotel level and the following escape.

I have many more but these are the ones that stand out.

Back
Top Bottom