Insuring a celica as new driver?

Associate
Hey folks..

Basically, the time has come to buy my first motor, and even though it may sound crazy, I'm after a celica gt (sixth gen)

Basically, I'm fully prepared to pay the insurance, its about £1100 as i'm 26 years young at the moment, which like I say, I dont mind doing..

But, using good old gocompare, I've just ran the numbers using my dad as primary insurer, with me as a named driver. The actual details used are dad buys insurance and car, I then pay it back to him... I'm then noted as registered owner, and primary driver.. with cars primary location being at my house, not his.

So, effectively, he is simply buying the insurance for me and then having nothing else to do with it

This takes the quote from ~£1100 down to ~£400. Surely it cant be that easy to get severly discounted insurance??

As named primary driver and owner, would the no claim bonus build up apply to me?

Just thought I'd ask on hither incase any experts are lurking.. so any thoughts? would his no claims be affected if i did have a bump?

Cheers

Associate
OP
well that was my first tought, but prices do change incremently if the various options are changed. I.e. I'm main driver, he's primary keeper or he's main driver, i'm primary keeper.

Will probably have to ring them I suppose

Score if it works though :p

Anyone else done anything similar?

Associate
It's called fronting I think, which isn't allowed. If you have a crash and the company find out that you're the main driver they wont pay out.

Taken from http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105064

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/7282236.stm

TAKE NOTE!

Insurance industry is cracking down on these people.

If you are the main driver on your car, and the insurance policy is in your parents name, then "fronting" as it is called is illegal, and there has been three cases recently of people within car forum communities where the insurance company has not paid out after a write off. In one case where the vehicle was registered in the lads name, but parents were the policy holder, the driver was hauled in as every insurance policy states "The vehicle is registered in your name"

Be Warned......

Soldato
So you want your dad to be policy holder and you as a named driver even though its your car.
Thats fraud and if found out your insurance will be invalid.

However thats how I did my first few cars :D

Associate
I think what the OP is doing is being the PRINCIPAL driver (the insurance company know he will be driving it the most) on a policy in his dad’s name. Most insurers are starting to crack down it this now in the same way as being a named driver.

Even if you are getting ‘named driver’ no-claims they are pretty much a waste of time imo.

£1100 doesn’t sound too bad considering you’re a new driver, it would certainly be a lot more if you were 17. You would be best of starting to build up your own no-claims on your own policy, they make a big difference!

Last edited:
Soldato
I think what the OP is doing is being the PRINCIPAL driver (the insurance company know he will be driving it the most) on a policy in his dad’s name. Most insurers are starting to crack down it this now in the same way as being a named driver.

Well, it's not illegal surely?

All insurers I tried running a quote with like that wouldn't quote it though.

Associate
Well, it's not illegal surely?

All insurers I tried running a quote with like that wouldn't quote it though.

It could be illegal I don’t know, insures didn’t used to have a problem with it (I was told to do it by direct line a good few years ago), they don’t usually allow it now.

Associate
OP
Well, i aint trying to commit fraud, just saying that go compare is allowing me to put in those details. A lot of the previously available companies cant/wont do it, but there are definately some that still will.

I'd say fraud is a strong word too though as I'm telling the companies that I am the main driver, its at my house, and its gonna be my name in the log book. I just happen to be letting my that pay them with his 17 years of no claims ;)

Hmmmm... its certainly interesting.

Soldato
1100 quid on a celica gt at 26? Is this an import? Im insuring a 6th gen uk gt celica for less than 600 quid at 22, thats with 2 years NCB and a crash on my name...

Soldato
£1,100 is good as a new driver...

And as a few have said, what you're considering doing is illegal and considered insurance fraud, and they will cream you both on here and if the insurer find out..

And believe me, they find out :)

Soldato
It would only be fronting if he is using his dad's NCD to bring the price down.

If not, then in theory the quote should be based around the youngest driver on the insurance, so it shouldnt matter whether you are the policy holder and your dad is the named driver or vice versa. When i used to do quotes for young drivers on insurance policies it would basically make them the main user, and so hiked the premium quite a bit.

Soldato
with i was a year or two older, currently a 7th gen celica for me is ~£1800 pa with just short of a years worth of driving under my belt. Would hate to think what 6th gt would be like, luckily i cant stand the shape of them and will be getting a 7th a bit before the winter :)

With regards to insurance, whatever you do make sure you're getting NCB rolling.

Soldato
It would only be fronting if he is using his dad's NCD to bring the price down.

As he said, because you are using your dads ncb it becomes fraud i believe as he is not the main driver etc, also if your dad uses his ncb on any other policy he wont be able to any more, ncb is only applicable to one policy, your 26 just insure it yourself and build up some ncb, also if you crash your dad loses all his ncb and I am sure he wouldnt be too happy about that! :p

Associate
OP
yeah, thought it sounded too good really,

However.. another oddity, if I add my dad as a driver to my policy, it brings the price down by £300.

*Edit: as Dave said ;)

Associate
yeah, thought it sounded too good really,

However.. another oddity, if I add my dad as a driver to my policy, it brings the price down by £300.

*Edit: as Dave said ;)

That’s quite common, my mother brings mine down, but my dad adds to it so he’s not on my insurance!

Back
Top Bottom