Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
6th Element sucks!

Has that got your attention! :p

I think you missed my question:

Dude you need bike therapy! :D

I really like how the carbon weave on the crank matches that of the frame.

How do you rate SRAM Force? Im getting a Trek built up with it in a few weeks am and very much looking forward to learning this double tap funkery. I have previously only used Shimano.

For that matter, any others experience with SRAM Force (or Rival or Red) would be appreciated.

Gratefully yours,
pfx :cool:

Don
Guys just gone to buy some accessories for the bike but not sure what to go for, what kind of locks do you use? I presume one that will cate for both frame and front wheel? Are the U locks decent, they would be my preferred purchase due to the fact it can stay on the bike and I'm not carting a heavy cable around in a bag constantly..

Is there any alternatives?

I found this site that could be used for examples, http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17535235&page=53

Thanks!

Associate
In an attempt to loose some weight and generally help me feel better, got a push bike.

Picked this up from brother in laws couple of weeks ago.

2449054649_f1b12a3ca6_b.jpg

Giant TCR Composite Frame, light is not the word for it.
Bit of a mix & match components wise, ultegra crank and STI levers, 105 front mech, Tiagra rear mech, ambrossio brakes, Shimano RS500 wheels. SPD's are on since they have lots of float and dont bother my knees, may look at changing them for some thing else at a later date.
Very responsinve and it climbs brilliantly, it transfers pedal power to forward motion in an instant. Brother in law has dragged it up Alp D'huez 3 times and reackons its a better climbing bike than his current TT bike.

The 13 1/2 mile to work takes about 45 mins, usually into a head wind!
Just getting used to spinning now as opposed to grinding along in a high gear like i used to on a mountain bike.
Doesnt help being on beta blockers to help shift migraines ive had as a result of Bells Palsey. Cant get my heart going fast enough.

Reackon it could do with a longer stem and probably a more comfortable saddle.

Associate
In an attempt to loose some weight and generally help me feel better, got a push bike.

Picked this up from brother in laws couple of weeks ago.

2449054649_f1b12a3ca6_b.jpg

Giant TCR Composite Frame, light is not the word for it.
Bit of a mix & match components wise, ultegra crank and STI levers, 105 front mech, Tiagra rear mech, ambrossio brakes, Shimano RS500 wheels. SPD's are on since they have lots of float and dont bother my knees, may look at changing them for some thing else at a later date.
Very responsinve and it climbs brilliantly, it transfers pedal power to forward motion in an instant. Brother in law has dragged it up Alp D'huez 3 times and reackons its a better climbing bike than his current TT bike.

The 13 1/2 mile to work takes about 45 mins, usually into a head wind!
Just getting used to spinning now as opposed to grinding along in a high gear like i used to on a mountain bike.
Doesnt help being on beta blockers to help shift migraines ive had as a result of Bells Palsey. Cant get my heart going fast enough.

Reackon it could do with a longer stem and probably a more comfortable saddle.

Have you tried messing around with the saddle height? At the moment it looks as though you have it angled upwards? Perhaps try it a little lower and flat and see if that makes any difference to comfort. Before forking out for a new stem you could try moving the seat forward as well. Also if your not used to a narrow saddle then it may take upto 2 weeks for your sit-bones to become accustomed to it.

Associate
Have you tried messing around with the saddle height? At the moment it looks as though you have it angled upwards? Perhaps try it a little lower and flat and see if that makes any difference to comfort. Before forking out for a new stem you could try moving the seat forward as well. Also if your not used to a narrow saddle then it may take upto 2 weeks for your sit-bones to become accustomed to it.

Not messed around with the saddle much bar adjusting the height. Will try moving it forward, since i seem to be sitting on the front of the saddle after todays ride.
Can manage 15 miles before i start to get uncomfortable, which beats the first night i went out and it was about 2 miles before i started to hurt, so im slowly getting used to it.

Associate
Here's my 3 - although the Claud's out for trial with a mate pending purchase at the moment:

Saracen Ariel 3 - have changed the bars for a set of FSA K Force Carbons, the egg beaters for a set of DMR V8's and binned the SDG I beam system, in favour of a Thomson post and a Rocket 5 saddle.

Saracen.jpg

This is an older picture now, but this is my Merlin Malt special edition, shes had quite a few changes since this one was taken, but you get the idea:

markmerlin4.jpg

And this is my Claud Butler Spectre - again, wuite an old piccy but this has had loads changed to! It has a Race Face crank with SKF BXC BB, Truvativ Holzfeller bars with an Exotic carbon stem, Truvativ Holzfeller pedals and a few more changes. It has also got different rims now - the ones of my Ariel above which were Sun SOS's as I had a set of Mavic 317's on this.

Spectre3.jpg

:)

Associate
Not messed around with the saddle much bar adjusting the height. Will try moving it forward, since i seem to be sitting on the front of the saddle after todays ride.
Can manage 15 miles before i start to get uncomfortable, which beats the first night i went out and it was about 2 miles before i started to hurt, so im slowly getting used to it.

May sound like a slightly personal question but are you wearing 'nappy' equipped shorts when riding? Small saddles are designed with less padding as it it assumed that you will be carrying the padding on you. A cheap pair of DHB bibbed shorts from wiggle would be an ideal investment.

Associate
May sound like a slightly personal question but are you wearing 'nappy' equipped shorts when riding? Small saddles are designed with less padding as it it assumed that you will be carrying the padding on you. A cheap pair of DHB bibbed shorts from wiggle would be an ideal investment.

Oh yes(as that stupid dog says on that advert).
Wont ride with out proper cycling shorts any more. Made that mistake many years ago of not wearing proper shorts and after a day in the saddle, sore wasnt the word!!
Are bibbed shorts better than normal cycling shorts? ie more comfortable?

Associate
Oh yes(as that stupid dog says on that advert).
Wont ride with out proper cycling shorts any more. Made that mistake many years ago of not wearing proper shorts and after a day in the saddle, sore wasnt the word!!

Well they don't have any elastic around the waist, so many people do find that they are more comfy for a long time in the saddle.

Soldato
Has anyone tried single speed on the rear, three speed on the front?

Reason I ask is the rear mech is pretty crap on my bike, and I find I'm always only changing the front cog, leaving the rear on the smallest cog.

Associate
Has anyone tried single speed on the rear, three speed on the front?

Reason I ask is the rear mech is pretty crap on my bike, and I find I'm always only changing the front cog, leaving the rear on the smallest cog.

Wont work. To get the chain tension right for the outer chain ring, it'd be far to slack on the middle and granny chain ring.

Don
Just built up my GT Avalanche 1.0 tonight, unfortunately couldn't go for a ride as it was too dark and I had no pump to blow the tyres! My GF also got a ladies GT but a cheaper alternative.

Bit unsure on the height of my seat, should there just be slight bend in my knees when sat on the seat?

Also what kind of locks do you recommend? Chain ones so that it goes round the front wheel too? I'm going to be riding to work everyday so need a lock asap really.

Soldato
6th Element sucks!

Has that got your attention! :p

I think you missed my question:

For that matter, any others experience with SRAM Force (or Rival or Red) would be appreciated.

Gratefully yours,
pfx :cool:

I was away for 5 days on a biking holiday :p

Got a tour of the Industry Nine facilities and was riding with some of the Cane Creek riders.

The terrain was like this:
p444152887-4.jpg

As for the Force, I like it a lot but some people struggle with the longer throw required. Not sure if they've changed that on the '08 but I know you can adjust the reach on the Red.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Please don't wear those things, are you planning on wrestling another man?
What's wrong with riding shorts underneath normal boardshorts or something!

Men in Lycra should be banned to the the inner sanctum of hell, reserved for Hitler, men who wear pink shirts

I can understand it if you race, or travel immense distances.... but for normal road use that's just disgusting

Last edited:
Associate

They also hold the pad in place better and certainly prevent anything ever falling down which is something less to think about. Apparently they have the added bonus of helping to hold in a belly as well, spare tyres rolling over the top of shorts isn't a good look :D

Everyone on my club rides wears bibs so must be some sense behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom