New Raptor Review

Permabanned
Looks good, but I'd much rather go for a Samsung F1 500GB/750GB that's only slightly slower :)

Quoted from THG review on Original slower Firmware (Engineers sample).

" While the fastest 3,5" hard drives at 7,200 RPM, such as the Samsung SpinPoint F1, also reach 120 MB/s, they do not sustain the transfer rate as well: Samsung drops to 60 MB/s, while the WD delivers at least 75 MB/s from anywhere on the physical platters "

Soldato
Personally I'm more concerned about the noise than anything else. Whilst it'd be great to have one for the OS for performance, I'll only do this if it's not going to irritate the hell out of me with a whining noise.

Associate
New version of this with 320GB = love and i'll get one, love the fact that they have been able to decrease the latency once again. Just wish the prices were lower, but this is without a doubt my next drive, SSDs are having problems that won't make them a real possibility until next year at least.

Permabanned
Personally I'm more concerned about the noise than anything else. Whilst it'd be great to have one for the OS for performance, I'll only do this if it's not going to irritate the hell out of me with a whining noise.

From what I have seen they are ment to be really quiet on idle. Just makes a little noise when seeking, but not as loud as the old raptors.

Soldato
I dont hear my raptor 150Gb spinning etc. Its just the seek noise you hear. Even then, it can be silenced in a suitable enclosure. Im going to find out what a bungee mod does soon once I have made myself a fan bracket.

Associate
I have a really nice enclosure that keeps my raptorx quiet/cool... Just wondered if you guys reckon it'd be a sensible move to sell it as a package and go for a velociraptor? What sort of price would I realistically be looking at getting (its a GUP smartdrive worth about £50).

Last edited:
Soldato
WD will still honour warranties on the Raptor 150GB products and will keep a small amount back for this purpose.

A newer 150GB will appear a little later on but no dates at all.

Back
Top Bottom