VGA swtich setup

Wee

Wee

Associate
So I've recently picked up a 360 and the VGA adapter for my Macbook, with the goal of running them and my PC through my main monitor. I hear the best way to do this is to use a 4-way VGA switch. I've looked around, and they seem to be really cheap. But before I go ahead and pick one up, I have a couple of questions regarding the setup.

Firstly ... is it even possible? If I get the 4-way VGA switch and plug my PC, Macbook and 360 into the back of it (as well as the monitor), I should be able to easily switch between them, right?

Secondly, does the switch degrade the quality of any of the picture? So will the PC, for instance, be the same picture quality as it is now after it's connected to the switch? I can't help but think it will loose some quality. If so, can this be combatted with buying some better quality VGA cables?

Has anyone got something similiar going on? Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers.

Wee

Wee

Associate
OP
The switch is from a competitor, so won't post a link. But here's a picture of it.

31O7HYHpcKL._SS500_.jpg

There wasn't any specs on the item page, either.

Wee

Wee

Associate
OP
Ah, maybe that's why it's so cheap! :)

So how exactly does the KVM lead work? How do you switch between all the attached devices?

Associate
Ah, maybe that's why it's so cheap! :)

So how exactly does the KVM lead work? How do you switch between all the attached devices?
KVM- stands for keyboard video mouse

Basically your monitor,keyboard and mouse plug into this device and when you press a button on your keyboard (e.g. scroll lock twice) the kvm will recognise this and divert the keyboard and mouse signals to the next computer, and will send the output from the next computer to the monitor, although having a mouse in and a keyboard in is optional i think, although im not sure how youd change the signal to the next pc without a keyboard, might be a button some?

Wee

Wee

Associate
OP
Looks like KVM is the way to go, although I don't need the mouse/keyboard support. I see Belkin doesn't do one that supports more than two devices. Any recommendations on a company that does?

What about loss of picture quality with a KVM?

Wee

Wee

Associate
OP
Ah, just didn't look hard enough. Belkin do do a series of KVM do-hickey's with 4-ports. Spotted a Belkin OmniView E-Series going very cheap on a well known auction site. You reckon that'll do the trick?

Back
Top Bottom