Is this good for the price? (Dell Vostro)

Soldato
Speccing one up and i am going to call them tomorrow as i have a £50 voucher for a first time business purchase (through the gf's company). So its a small business purchase.

Spec
Vostro 1700 - NB (N0517014)
C2D T8300 2.4 3MB L2 cache
Vista Home Premium
17" 1440x900 TFT
3 GB of ram
320 GB hard drive
256 GeForce 8600M GT

Will work out at £495 delivered with the £50 voucher if they accept it which i think they should. Is there anything worth upgrading? The screen to the True life perhaps? Is it even worth going to 4 GB of ram?

I need this to last for a long time and it will be used for web developemnt and light gaming, just general ofice apps aswell.

Associate
I went for the same spec but without a voucher I ended up with £ 586 delivered. I would add blue tooth (not in the offer), 4 Gb and the display would pay off being the better option.

Now I am sorry I did not go for the better display.

Soldato
Good spec and very good price. Not sure about the TrueLife screen, mine has it but I don't like the reflections, but I haven't seen a non-TrueLife screen to compare. I might be tempted by the 1920*1200 screen but then I like a lot of screen space for programming.

Associate
Good spec and very good price. Not sure about the TrueLife screen, mine has it but I don't like the reflections, but I haven't seen a non-TrueLife screen to compare. I might be tempted by the 1920*1200 screen but then I like a lot of screen space for programming.

My order is still in phase Pre-production. Meanwhile DELL dropped the price by almost £ 50. Can you tell me whether a call would reduce my price or would get me something extra, such as 3 years warranty or extra 1 Gb RAM?

I am asking as I have never haggled over the phone.

Cheers.

Soldato
OP
My order is still in phase Pre-production. Meanwhile DELL dropped the price by almost £ 50. Can you tell me whether a call would reduce my price or would get me something extra, such as 3 years warranty or extra 1 Gb RAM?

Cheers.

I dont know but i tried haggling and it got me nowhere, he said that 495 was quite low and there was no room to tweak anything. Have you ordered the same as me? what price?

daz

daz

Soldato

Cheers.

Dell will tell you the only way you can get the discount is to cancel your order and order from scratch. :)

Associate
I dont know but i tried haggling and it got me nowhere, he said that 495 was quite low and there was no room to tweak anything. Have you ordered the same as me? what price?

I have practically ordered the same system for £ 586 delivered. No it is £ 545 delivered and mine is still in pre-production state I thought that I might give them a call. I guess on paper I could cancel my order and then order a new one at the lowest price. What do you think? Unfortunately I do not have any quidco or voucher to cut the price down.

Cheers

Soldato
OP
Cant use quidco over the phone, if you use the voucher FIRSTBUY-0201 that will get u the £50 off, only quote over the phone though. Only for business use that voucher though, which the Vostro is anyway so you will be fine. The extra £35 offers ends on the 21st though

Associate
Dell will tell you the only way you can get the discount is to cancel your order and order from scratch. :)

So was I hoping but I was told that being a business customer (Vostro is small business line) I cannot cancel the order and that there was nothing they could to change it.

Can anyone comment on that as I am not aware of the real situation? It does not sound right to me, if you were a Home customer you have 7 days cooling period, if you a business you do not have it.

My only guess is that Vostro is cheaper compared with their Latidude, XPS, Insporion counterparts and this results in "no negotiattions whatsoever" once you place the order.

Associate
I really can't remember, it was last August. It was purchased as a small business customer yeh.

After reading DELL's Terms and Conditions (see below) I am going to give up on trying to cancel my order. Vostro could only be ordered if you entered the Business section, thus automatically my order falls in this scenario. Not being a native English speaker, can anyone find any small hole in their T&C that is possible to be used? Thanks in advance!

Consumers:
7.3 Consumers may cancel their Orders for any reason until, but no later than:
7.3.1 the end of the 7th "working day" (days other than weekend days & public holidays) after the day of receipt of the Product &/or of the Service Order Confirmation (as applicable); or
7.3.2 the end of the 7th working day after the date when all such information required by law is supplied.
7.4 Consumers' right to cancel Software that is supplied on CD, DVD or other similar storage devices is also lost if the Software is unwrapped.
7.5 On cancellation of Products Consumer is obliged to return the goods to Dell in their original condition, undamaged & at the cost of Consumer. Consumer shall take reasonable care to ensure that the goods are not damaged whilst in transit using means arranged by Consumer. Whilst in possession of the goods Consumer shall be under a duty to take reasonable care of them. Dell shall take action against Consumer for goods returned which have been made unfit for resale or damaged whilst in the possession of Consumer.
7.6 The provisions of Clauses 7.3, 7.4 & 7.5 do not apply to Product or Software that is damaged or defective.
7.7 On cancellation of the Order Dell will refund the price paid, less the direct cost of recovering the goods (when applicable), within a period of 30 days from date of cancellation.

Business Users:
7.8 Notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary (including without limitation Clauses 3.3 & 3.4), Business Users may only reject Product for material non-conformity with the Product Description by providing written notice to Dell within 7 days after delivery or otherwise shall be deemed to have accepted the Products.

Associate
After reading DELL's Terms and Conditions (see below) I am going to give up on trying to cancel my order. Vostro could only be ordered if you entered the Business section, thus automatically my order falls in this scenario. Not being a native English speaker, can anyone find any small hole in their T&C that is possible to be used? Thanks in advance!

Consumers:
7.3 Consumers may cancel their Orders for any reason until, but no later than:
7.3.1 the end of the 7th "working day" (days other than weekend days & public holidays) after the day of receipt of the Product &/or of the Service Order Confirmation (as applicable); or
7.3.2 the end of the 7th working day after the date when all such information required by law is supplied.
7.4 Consumers' right to cancel Software that is supplied on CD, DVD or other similar storage devices is also lost if the Software is unwrapped.
7.5 On cancellation of Products Consumer is obliged to return the goods to Dell in their original condition, undamaged & at the cost of Consumer. Consumer shall take reasonable care to ensure that the goods are not damaged whilst in transit using means arranged by Consumer. Whilst in possession of the goods Consumer shall be under a duty to take reasonable care of them. Dell shall take action against Consumer for goods returned which have been made unfit for resale or damaged whilst in the possession of Consumer.
7.6 The provisions of Clauses 7.3, 7.4 & 7.5 do not apply to Product or Software that is damaged or defective.
7.7 On cancellation of the Order Dell will refund the price paid, less the direct cost of recovering the goods (when applicable), within a period of 30 days from date of cancellation.

Business Users:
7.8 Notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary (including without limitation Clauses 3.3 & 3.4), Business Users may only reject Product for material non-conformity with the Product Description by providing written notice to Dell within 7 days after delivery or otherwise shall be deemed to have accepted the Products.

Anyone?

Associate
Now the option is 4 Gb RAM. at £ 586 delivered. I should stop checking their site for a while.

Does anyone know for how long the orders sits in Pre-Production state? It is more than a week and I still see it as Pre-Production. At the same time they reduce te price or add-up new configuration just to torture people who had aleady ordered. No cancellation either:mad:

Back
Top Bottom