External Hard drive Stupidly Slow

Associate
Hey there, I have an external harddrive that I mainly use for backup's and the like, not sure on model number but its a maxtor 80gb in a Lacie D2 Firewire enclosure. Anyway I tested the hard-drive in xbench today and found its getting around 1-2mb/sec writing speed, even had a random read of 0.5mb?

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong with the disk?

Associate
OP
cant see its smart status, not sure if its just because its on firewire , but it says smart status not supported ?

Soldato
I wouldn't worry about the XBench random read.

I'm also assuming it's a PATA drive? Although that write performance is a little low.

Soldato
I dont know apples very well so the following statement might be as much use as balls on a mermaid. Could the hdd enclosure be usb 1.0 and just poort quality?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I dont know apples very well so the following statement might be as much use as balls on a mermaid. Could the hdd enclosure be usb 1.0 and just poort quality?

He said it was a FireWire drive..

Associate
OP
hdd is on its way out then.
yea i was hoping it wasn't the case, i'm a student so tend to be skint ;)

If it makes any difference i found out that the hard-drive model is a :Maxtor 6 Y080L0, it was taken from an old machine after the old external hard-drive in the enclosure died so is there any chance that i didn't connect up the (IDE I assume) cables right and its stuck on a low speed?

Soldato
ender, one thing you could try if you hit a brick wall is to obtain an identical logic board and replace the existing one, Ive done this a few times on 40gb maxtors last year when one of my home pcs decided to play up and as it was holding a backup of my family pics, rather than remake my backups I swapped the board and its back to 100%

Back
Top Bottom