N95 - Nokia Maps

Soldato
Should this actually work? Why does it need the internet?

Can I put some other sat nav software on it that will use the internal GPS?

Currently Nokia maps never finds any satellites with or without an internet connection.

I'm a complete noob with stuff like this, any help would be great, thanks

Soldato
Internet connection is for assisted GPS, you can also use normal GPS. Both are quite quick on my phone. I'm on firmware 20.something

Best sat nav software I found was GarminXT. Also tried route66 which worked OK but I wasn't fond of the interface.

Tools > utilities > GPS data this shows how many satelites you're connected to.
go into Navigation > options > satelite status, or somethign liek that.

Soldato
Goto: http://europe.nokia.com/A4984199

Update the latest 2.0 Maps.

Download Nokia Map Loader (which downloads the maps onto your memory card

You get an option to use or not use internet when you load it up but all the maps should be on the memory card.

Make sure the keypad is slid down as the GPS is under it, mine picks it up in no time at all, probably less than 30secs easily.

Associate
Seems to take mine a few mins (but being a cheapskate I've disabled the a-gps, so it doesnt download any data) to get a fix on position. I've just done the 'about' on the Maps menu, and it says it's v1.2 - does the upgrade to v2 make much difference to this, do you think? Cheers guys! :)

Associate
I've used the nokia PC suite, and connected the phone to the pc using the usb cable. Seems to work ok! Another alternative is to use wifi, and download and install directly, which is what I did with the Sports Tracker beta app from Nokia, which also worked fine for me. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom