New LCD... Connecting to a laptop help..!!

Soldato
Hi there,

Got my first LCD today. Toshiba 40" 1080p jobby. Very nice set, well pleased with it.

Anyhow, Ive tried to connect my laptop to it. S-Video is the connection.

Now the laptop has onboard Intel GPU, being an Dell machine. The native res of the laptop is 1280x800 with it having a 14.1" display.

Now through the GPU settings, when I change it to multi-displays, it only allows me to have upto 1024x800. It just does'nt look right on the laptop and TV. You cant make out text on the tv but its not clear.

Can I somehow get a larger res so the picture on the TV would be better?

Thanks...

Associate
I don't know if S-Video allows a resolution that is any higher. If it doesn't then try adjusting the sharpness of the TV to get better quality. I think Toshiba's go from -50 to +50 in terms of sharpness. The other option is to set it to 1x1 pixel mapping which will jsut display the screen on the correct number of pixels (not full screen) if it allows that on the S-Video input.

Soldato
Your S-Video output will be 480i or 576i, you can set resolution to what you like but that's what it's outputting, and it's a poor quality analog signal.

Associate
Cant you hookup a vga/dvi cable to the lcd, be much better quality and you can get the full resolution through it

Soldato
I have a question on laptop to lcd tv:

IF I output to an lcd tv, what is actually displayed on the laptop screen? I want to know whether I can play a movie, outputting it to the tv, but still say use excel/word on the laptop - will this work i.e. dual monitor?

If it's any help, I have an ATI mobility X1800. My display properties has a "multiple monitors" option. I am considering a 22" lcd tv for my desk.

Edit - got the answer myself. Somehow never occurred to me initially to try it with my brother's monitor. Dual screen does work with my graphics card.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom