MBP sound setup

Associate
I often have my MBP connected up to my stereo. I never know how best to have volume setup on it. Currently I set my stereo to a decent volume and then control up volume via the mac. Is that the best way to do it? Or should I set the mac to full and then control the volume with my stereo?

The running of 2 volumes together has always been a confusion for me, and I'd just like to know which is the best way to run it.

Associate
Best way to run it, is setting the volume of the laptop to maximum, and then just using the stereo to change the volume, doing it this way means that the sound is the best possible quality. However the difference i found between changing volume on my laptop and changing on my amp is not really that noticeable

Associate
No, the best way is to set laptop volume to just above the middle setting, and control volume through the amp. The middle setting on the laptop has less distortion than if you set it to maximum.
Hopefully someone can back me up on this, as I've always believed this to be the case, but I could be wrong.

Soldato
The electrical noise from the system is constant no matter what the volume level, so you're better off with the output turned up.

I haven't noticed any distortion with the output cranked up, on my MBP nor PowerMac.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
I run amp into amp on my setup as well, although a slightly more powerful amp than the inbuilt of a laptop. I get the best results from half volume on the amp from the PC, and then controlling the volume via the stereo amp.

Soldato
I don't think it's being boosted at full volume, but rather cut at anything less than full volume. Look at the sound output section of the MIDI utility - it shows 0.0 dB when at full volume and -x.y dB at anything else.

May be wrong, but I'm pretty sure maximum is the way to go.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I wouldn't run the volume on the laptop at max, not if you have a decent amp.. however, it depends on the quality of each (best bet is to experiment!)

I am not sure what you're doing, I assume just playing music, and not recording.. however, if I HAD to use a headphone-out output for recording this is what I'd do..

Set the volume control on the amp at approximately 75% of the full scale. Then slowly and carefully increase the volume control of the headphones output, until the recording level peak meters reach the yellow zone.

That way, you know if you max the laptop you're always "safe" and you can always lower the amp down if you're bored of the music, but still want to record :cool:

{If you aren't recording, just whack the laptop up.. it shouldn't ruin the experience}

Back
Top Bottom