Quick bike licence question.

Soldato
'Lo there, just a quick question about the bike licence, looking at buying a 125cc bike and sitting my CBT shortly then progressing onto passing my A2 licence. What would be the best way of going onto passing it? Lessons, 'self taught' after passing the CBT, DAS style course? Any pointers appreciated! :p

Soldato
whatever you do get it fown quick, getting much more expensive and complicated in october :eek: get lessons btw a weeks course is more than enough (provided you have prior road experience) I took my cbt one day and two days of lessons one of which included my test (so one and a half), going on a course would be my advice and get your A2 asap

Man of Honour
forget the CBT. Go straight for the A2.
do a 3-5 day course. It's all you need, forget self taught as you''ll just learn bad habits and fail for forgetting your life savers, as said get it quick.

Soldato
I can only echo what AH2 says - just do the A2 if you ask me. It's over and done within a week and you'll have a much bigger choice of bike - as well as more training. The CBT's not really enough if you ask me. With your A2 license you'll have had a week or so of training, have a bit more of a powerful bike, and those things will leave you in a much safer position in my opinion than being let out after half a day's riding, on an underpowered bike, and left to learn bad habits for a few months, only to have to un-learn them all for your test.

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the replys. Pretty much what I was thinking, I imagine the prices are similar to that of the Direct Access courses?

Soldato
Slight hijack but I was thinking about getting a bike licence as well, I dont really know anything about it yet but was under the impression you had to do a CBT first? And whats an A2?

Associate
as somebody who rides on a cbt I would seriously suggest getting your full licence, 125s are pants and they break so end up being a huge waste of money imo. I'm waiting until my exams are over to sit my test but I'll still be getting lessons beforehand.

Man of Honour
Slight hijack but I was thinking about getting a bike licence as well, I dont really know anything about it yet but was under the impression you had to do a CBT first? And whats an A2?

If you don't have a cbt, the first day of an a2/direct access. will be the cbt

a2 is from around £350
Direct Access £450
All depends how many days training you want.

a2 is for people under 21(must be 17), that gives you a full license but limits you to 33bhp for 2 years. After 2 years regardless of bike ownership or insurance. You get the restriction removed. By simply sending your Driving License to dvla.

Associate
I done my CBT then bought a CG125 and taught myself. I passed first time then sold the CG125 for the same price I bought it for so the whole thing was pretty cheap to get done.

Last edited:
Permabanned
When does this new legislation take place then? I'm looking to getting a bike but don't have the money as of yet. However i have the money to do the a2, which is obviously the smart move. Would i need to get a theory test done (i have my full drivers license, whether that makes any difference)? How much booking time is required? I would rather do it after my exams they end 19th june, but if i don't have enough time, then i'm sure i could fit it in.

Associate
When does this new legislation take place then? I'm looking to getting a bike but don't have the money as of yet. However i have the money to do the a2, which is obviously the smart move. Would i need to get a theory test done (i have my full drivers license, whether that makes any difference)? How much booking time is required? I would rather do it after my exams they end 19th june, but if i don't have enough time, then i'm sure i could fit it in.

I think regardless of having a license, your theory test only lasts 2 years?

Soldato
I've always found 'new' riders who do a DAS etc a lot more concerning to ride with than those who did a CBT and spent some time on a 125 learning to ride properly. A 125 teaches the importance of planning further ahead as you lack the power to be able to get out of sticky situations, correctly using the gearbox and keeping the rev's going to make progress as the power band is so limited.

As for 125's being unreliable and breaking that's not the case, the problem is usually either they are a cheap Chinese copy or a poorly maintained/trashed (think Mito or RS etc). Jap 125's are just as reliable as Jap 1000's.

Soldato
Does anyone know the details on how the A2 is changing on October?

Unfortunately I'm 17 in March and was thinking of doing the CBT and self learning on a CG125, but after reading this advice, I think I will be going straight for the A2 in a one week course and either getting a CG125 or Ninja 250 (which hits the 33bhp limit and i'll keep for two years).

Back
Top Bottom