I Support the lorry drivers thread

Soldato
Its just an utter nightmare, I heard predictions of 150p for petrol by October, with the current trends it wouldn't suprise me if we hit that next month..

Its just too much money to be paying, end of story.

What will happen if prices continue to rise, with no cut to tax?

Permabanned
Looking at the Transport agency-thingy's website, fuel duty was around 49p five years ago, and is now around only 52p. Isn't that increase less than inflation?

Permabanned
Looking at the Transport agency-thingy's website, fuel duty was around 49p five years ago, and is now around only 52p. Isn't that increase less than inflation?

Yup. As a percentage of fuel price, duty/tax has actually gone down.

On the other hand over the last 8 years crude has gone from 20 dollars to 140 per barrel.

So whats more likely to be behind the increase in the petrol price?

Permabanned
Simple supply and demand.

I have said this before and I say it again - everyone is a bunch of whiners; whining when the government acts too much of a 'nanny' to this state, and then whine when they don't. The government cannot be expected to solve the world's problems that everyone is being affected by.

Caporegime
Interesting thread (I wondered why this was not bought up in Motors so I ventured out for a bit & found this!)

Makes me laugh a bit, this bleating (rightly) about fuel prices, in my experience of trucking, I'd imagine if transport companies realised that if they employed "Trafic Planners" who could read a map & have a rough idea of the distance between Stoke & Lincoln for example, they would not find trucks criss crossing each other vainly chasing a load that's already been collected by joe on the Night shift, trouble is Night Shift forgot to tell the day shift.....
In other words, if Logistics companies got their act together a bit better & organised a bit better, they would imo find themselves in a far better position to try to off set the extra fuel costs by more efficient utilisation of vehicles by better planning etc.

Alas, the above is simply common sence, companies won't pay a decent wage for a driver to come off the road (circa £28k) to become a traffic planner (Circa £16k) and suffer the concequences of cluless muppets directing vehicles with average consumption figures of 7mpg all over the place.

Common sence & logistics are poor bed fellows it appears.

As a trucker I appreciate the support, but, given my perspective, I often think what little thats left of the UK Transport industry only has itself to blame for its current predicament.

Last edited:

RDM

RDM

Soldato
But at the same time your not spending thousands on petrol/car tax/insurance/mot's and driving for hours getting to work everyday, which effectivley reduces the amount your getting paid anyway.

The only thing it really reduces is fuel as I would still have a car so would still have to pay tax/insurance/mot etc. Hence why public transport is simply not a viable option for me as it would cost me much more than it costs me in petrol even if you doubled petrol prices.

Caporegime
Which answers my point how? I put that no-one voted for a party led by Brown, not that no-one voted for Brown. They voted for Labour led by Blair, with his policies, not one led by Brown

They stupidly voted for Labour and Blair and should have considered voting for the party only and how they think it will be with them in the next term, knowing fully well that TB was going to leave!

Back
Top Bottom