students: sumer jobs

Permabanned
So what're all you students doing as summer jobs? Something related to your degree, or something unrelated? Who isn't working at all, and taking a well earned rest?

I'm off to uni next year. I applied for some jobs at companies in the field of the course I appled to (chemistry) a couple of weeks ago. I have an interview tomorrow morning at a company called Dynea, who work in coatings adhesives and resins, with regards to a job in their quality control lab. My first actual job interview :eek:

edit: mods can you correct the title please?

Last edited:

Mat

Mat

Soldato
I worked in a warehouse for megabucks during my uni summers... the money was far more important at that point than getting something course related.

It was 13 years ago though...

Permabanned
OP
Wow, proper job in related field! When I studied chemistry, I washed cars in my summer hols for BMW :)

Plan was to try my arm at something related, if not just get something for money.

Last summer I did a week's work experience (thank you my friend's dad) at a company quite similar to this one, I don't think I'd have stood a chance without that.

I applied to 6 or 7 companies, two sent me letters saying they have no positions, and this third rang me =D

Permabanned
good luck, i went to a recruitment agency and said im basically looking for a job related to my degree, but if that isn't possible then i just want an income :p I will most likely end up in a skill less job, which is good because i won't need to apply my brain all summer :cool:

Una

Una

Associate
This summer I plan to relax, travel and party :) until I start my full time job in Sept. Previous summer I worked for IBM (I studied Comp Sci so the experience helped me get my full time job).

Permabanned
This summer I plan to relax, travel and party :) until I start my full time job in Sept. Previous summer I worked for IBM (I studied Comp Sci so the experience helped me get my full time job).

Ah - you're part of the placement scheme? Back in the day when I joined IBM i met a lot of placement guys.

J.B

J.B

Soldato
Placement all summer! Although apparently it gets rather quiet round here at August, dont do a lot any other time!

Associate
I worked at Bristol International Airport in the car parks. I worked there every holiday since the summer before I started university (June 2003) and by the end of my degree i'd worked my way up to shift leader having done every job in the car parks from being a Receptionist to Valet Parker to Customer Services to Team Lead!

Nothing to do with my degree. Good money though and thats all that counts at that level.

Permabanned
I was yea, Hursley was a hell of a nice place to work. Best summer working I have had, made quite a few friends down there as well.

Yeah. I worked in Farnborough, but occasionally had meetings down there with all the wierdos.

Soldato
Working with a local gardener/outdoor services guy, labouring and stuff like that- keeps me outside, active and getting dirty, all fun but absolutely not related to applying business or advertising like my degree.

I've got a placement year next year, so I thought I'd just take it easy this summer, well, it's physically knackering, but mentally easy compared to next year which'll be a proper job. :)

Back
Top Bottom