Child benefit. I am so angry right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don
I have been trying to claim the standard child benefit since October last year with no success. This is the standard benefit that all people with children in Britain can claim regardless of earnings.

My fiancee is Finnish and had a daughter when we met. They both live with me and Nina is now my adoptive daughter.

Back in October I filled in the form to claim the child benefit and sent it off. About 2 months later they replied with a new form about my partners personal circumstances and what child benefit she used to claim in Finland. We had a problem with this form as it assumed that I was also Finnish and as such I couldn't fill it in having never had a Finnish NI number.
We called them and they said we shoudl fill in the Brittish form which we did again. In February they sent the Finnish form again. I called them again and this time they told us to put a line through all the fields that related to me as it didn't apply as I was British. We did so and sent it off.

This morning I received a letter stating the form was invalid and I needed to fill in all the sections about the child benefit that I had claimed before I came to Britian!

FOR GOD'S SAKE. I'M BRITISH.

I've never lived in Finland. How can I fill it in?

I've just got off the phone with them again and guess what? They told me to fill in the British form as I'm British.

It seems there is no procedure for a British national, living with a forign national to claim for child benefit for a child which the british national is the legal guardian.

The sad thing is that if Kaisa had come to the UK on her own, they would bend over backwards to give her every benefit under the sun. Housing, unemployment, child etc etc. Because she lives with me and wishes to have a good life as a mother and housewife, we can't claim anything at all. Even the benefits which we're entitles to.

I am so sick of this country. I've paid massive sums of tax for 15 years but the minute I want something back from the system, I can just go and take running jump.

I understand why people don't bother to work. It's easier.

Permabanned
People complain about foreigners being given benefits and then complain when stricter procedures are put in place. You cant have it both ways.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Are you the Dude that Spent 550 quid on a wind up box to keep your watches in & wound up ? :p
Please don't take offence at my lack of sympathy as I am living on 52 pound a week here & I have to Fight to keep that.
I also seem to remember your thread/post about how your Foreign wife was going to be Fully supported by You, What has changed ?
Finally, You really don't Need the money so Why are you asking & expecting it ?

Please don't be offended mate I am just curious after being made to feel like I should live on Nothing by people on here that live on 10 times as much money as me even though it is Quite Obvious that finding myself work is near impossible because of my past.
I am not feeeling sorry for myself or owt I just want to know why a RICH dude gets angry over a few pounds.

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;11779902 said:
Can you show me where he has suggested he wants it both ways?

My post would have been clearer if I had said 'One cant have it both ways'. I wasnt suggesting that the OP did, merely that extra hassle is an inevitable consequence of a tightening of the rules, which most folk seem in favour of.

Soldato
Please don't be offended mate I am just curious after being made to feel like I should live on Nothing by people on here that live on 10 times as much money as me even though it is Quite Obvious that finding myself work is near impossible because of my past.
I am not feeeling sorry for myself or owt I just want to know why a RICH dude gets angry over a few pounds.

I guess it's because he's entitled to it, the same as any other family.

Associate
sounds like a case of pass the buck to me, in my experience you need to get real angry with them on the phone and be sure to keep repeating their mistakes, your gonna need to find someone who is willing to take responsibility for your claim and not another buck passer. Good luck mate.

Soldato
I don't think Rilot is angry over the money it's a standard benefit that everyone with kids is entitled to, I think he is annoyed that it has taken him this long to get no where.

KaHn

Don
OP

Beacause the system says I can have it. If the system said "no you can't have it", I would be fine with that. It's when the system says "yes you can have it but we're too beurocratic to have a proceedure for you to actually claim it".
We have another baby on the way and I'm concerned we will have the same problem.
If I was engaged to a british person and had a child it would be easy.
If she came to the UK on her own it would be easy.
If Nina was mine and had no resident mother it would be easy.
Remember, SHE isn't claiming it. I AM as the childs leagal guardian in the UK.

This is the same deal when I tried to claim job-seekers allowance after I was made redundant. The process was so converluted it was easier to just not bother.

And yes, Kaisa is fully supported by me. She is claiming no benefits whatsoever. I am claiming benefits for a child. A benefit to which I am entitled by British law regardless of how much money I earn. It is the only thing I am entitled to as my salary is too high to qualify for child working tax credits.
Are you saying that people who are by your estimation "rich" should just not bother to claim things for which they are entitled? If you were OK for cash, would you just not bother to claim any credits or benefits you were entitled to?

Remember, I'm not fiddling the system or anything. It would be much easier if I was.

I paid over £50k in income tax last year. It would be nice to get a little back.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Are you the Dude that Spent 550 quid on a wind up box to keep your watches in & wound up ? :p
Please don't take offence at my lack of sympathy as I am living on 52 pound a week here & I have to Fight to keep that.
I also seem to remember your thread/post about how your Foreign wife was going to be Fully supported by You, What has changed ?
Finally, You really don't Need the money so Why are you asking & expecting it ?

IIRC he is in a rather well paid job and as such will have paid vast amount in tax and national insurance over the years. He deserves something back from the system more than those who have never contributed.

When you pay a four figure sum in tax alone every month, it is rather frustrating when you ask for something back, an insignificant amount in comparison, and it is blocked by bureaucracy and paper pushing jobsworths - especially when those who have sponged off the system for years without contributing a penny get all sorts of benefits practically thrown at them when they claim they cannot find work.

Man of Honour
He is Loaded though, Where does the Anger come from, Are his Kids going hungry ? Is he missing out on something ?

He's just frustrated at the system giving him the runaround. Cut him some slack, sounds like his work pays for your existence.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;11779975 said:
He's just frustrated at the system giving him the runaround. Cut him some slack, sounds like his work pays for your existence.

Wow you really are a pleb, Malc was just asking questions about the state of his situation, yet you feel like its your position to put him down, as stated Rilot is just annoyed at the run around, the money is meaningless but its the principle dammit.

KaHn

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Politely snipped.

No mate I am Not saying Rich people should not claim, What I am saying is Rich people shouldn't get there knickers in a twist over a few quid that doesn't effect there Normal lives.
As far as the convoluted benefit system, Then Welcome to my World mate as I have to go through that to get my 53 quid a week. Only the difference is if I don't get my 53 quid I don't EAT ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom