Running Mains Power to the Garage

Permabanned
OP
If you know what you are doing, then do it. If you dont, then get someone in.

There is no point paying someone hundreds of pounds if you are capable of doing it yourself.

I totally agree, I'm not worried about doign the job myself, obviously I will make sure I have all the correct tools etc etc. However I am worried about the issue of doing this work and not being able to sell the house on after doing so.

Seems 2005 was the time that laws changed.

3 years wasnt long a go I suppose, hmmm :D

J

Don
my uncle made a roughly 200m extension cord for his caravan (he rents out his house to tourists for silly money in the summer) which goes into my dad's barn

he's got about 6 long cables all tied together with bin liners on the connections so they don't get wet, lol

his lights in the caravan must be on about 170v, they're so dim :D

Soldato
Definately agree with getting it checked out after you've done the installation. Yes, you may have problems selling the house and you could also invalidate your house insurance if it's not done correctly should something go wrong.

Permabanned
OP
Definately agree with getting it checked out after you've done the installation. Yes, you may have problems selling the house and you could also invalidate your house insurance if it's not done correctly should something go wrong.

I agree, assuming the work was done today, after the 2005 law changed.

Associate
I am wanting to have the socket moved but recessed in to the wall like it is now, but don’t no if any electricians would do it now I no the fuse board in garage comes from it god no’s why they did that

Soldato
My garage on my last house had the same thing, fed from a single socket in my lounge. It was like that when I moved in, armoured cable going deep underground to the garage too. I did not experience any issues with it but only ever run the odd corded power tool or vacuum in the garage.

Soldato
You can do it yourself, but you are supposed to get it checked by an electrician.
I would recommend buying the wiring regs book. Just go into an electrical wholesalers and they will have them for about £15-£20.
There is also a guide book which is pretty useful.

I wired up the garage at my last property, after researching it then a mate of mine, who is a sparky checked it and signed it off.

Soldato
Only if you want to sell the house or comply with health and safety and insurance I think.

But...OP, you should get this done by a professional. Really want to risk your life over a grinder and some strip lights?

I believe that (a) you need anything connecting to the consumer box to the supply/meter needs to an electrician and (b) your insurance probably has a clause that states all electrical work needs to be done by a qualified professional.

Gas is the main one - that can only be done by a qualified professional.

Either way - if you want a cert, then you have to pay the electrician... if you want not to have a big headache later.. pay the electrician.

I've run an extension out for temporary use - the person before us even had a board and a light plus sockets put into the garage. However they were too cheap to put a fixed spur into the house consumer box.. I suspect that's £400 for doing that - I'll dig the hole, put the conduit in and then leave them to thread the cable through..

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Can't beleive he was paid so much to do something so simple. But I guess its one of those things. If you know how - its simple.

It's about the difference between value of work done and value of the knowledge behind it ;) (quote taken from some website)

I.e. it's like the old wives tale of an engineer being called in to fix something and hitting broken machine with a hammer to get it going again. Then charging what is perceived to be a large sum for the relatively simple work. Then when he breaks down the bill it's something like £5 for the hammer, £4995 knowing where to hit the machine with hammer.

Soldato
It's about the difference between value of work done and value of the knowledge behind it ;) (quote taken from some website)

I.e. it's like the old wives tale of an engineer being called in to fix something and hitting broken machine with a hammer to get it going again. Then charging what is perceived to be a large sum for the relatively simple work. Then when he breaks down the bill it's something like £5 for the hammer, £4995 knowing where to hit the machine with hammer.
Holy thread revival. I'm not answering for anything I said 12 years ago. Statute of limitations n' all. :p

Back
Top Bottom