Honda Civic Type R GT advice.

Soldato
Overpriced and I'd wonder about the 100k too - that car looks pretty damn tired.

When it comes to cars with the potential for being dodgy there's quite simply nothing like an NSX. Mileage discrepancies and poorly repaired accident damage are included as standard.

Associate
Darryn posts about a FN2... and you start posting NSX's and s2000's? There hardley in the same league.

Also the s2000 will be a nightmare to insure, im sure it will be the same for a NSX aswell.

Caporegime
The S2000 may not be ideal for a new driver though. Am I right in saying they don't come with any driver aids?

No, just HIV :p

They arent as bad as people make out IME. Sorry, we have gone a bit OT here. I would just go for the Civic and not worry about it too much, it won't kill you and should be pretty easy to drive fast anyway

Soldato
OP
Okey kokey, the JDM Integra is a very nice looking car, but, from my understanding it would be more expensive for insurance and servicing, and i have no clue how id stand with manufacturers warranty. Also, again i may be wrong, but the Integra uses the same engine basically, so, with the money i save on insurance and servicing i could afford to uprate the CTR (im already eyeing up the uprated brake package and ECU from TDi-North)

As for getting an S2000 or NSX, they arent even a consideration... The NSX is a thing of beauty, but for £15k id be looking at a real old banger and in an S2000 id die quickly sideways at highspeed.

Associate
But has the op has stated above.. imports are more expensive to insure, and i would imagine servicing costs are higher and spares would be hard to come by.

You have your heart set on the Fn2 by the sounds of things - go for it. You won't be disapointed.

Associate
Check insurance first. I had my dream car lined up and the funds ready for it, but for some reason my premium has doubled when I get quotes back through the system.

Do you mean to say that at one point with the same details you were getting much better quotes but the next time you checked they were much higher?

Just wondering, as I'm sure at an earlier point when I got a quote on my dream car I'm sure it was at least 1k less :o

Soldato
Do you mean to say that at one point with the same details you were getting much better quotes but the next time you checked they were much higher?

Just wondering, as I'm sure at an earlier point when I got a quote on my dream car I'm sure it was at least 1k less :o

Yes. I have proof here:

insurancelm8.jpg

Me, my mum, all mods declared, full comp for 12months, 8000 miles a year, driveway etc etc.

Put the same quote through and got back a price of £2850 ish.

I am going to ring them and find out why it has doubled in the space of a week? I now can't get insured on anything below £2000 that I want :mad::mad::(

Last edited:
Soldato
S2000 is great in the dry but a killer in the wet, especially with the standard stiff Bridgestones. I definitely wouldn't recommend someone buy a 200bhp RWD sportscar with so little experience.

DC5s are decent but I'm guessing the OP wants a car with a warranty? Not sure why people are saying things like "Mmm for £15k I'd buy a souped up Impreza" when its obvious the OP isn't looking for a car that is too raw, and probably isn't looking to get into a car that he could easily kill himself in.

You have your heart set on the Fn2 by the sounds of things - go for it. You won't be disapointed.
I agree with this. I don't like the FN2 because I'm the previous-gen Civic purist, but it's not a bad car for the money, is softer/easier to live with than the older model, and being a Honda it's bulletproof.

Last edited:
Caporegime
DC5s are decent but I'm guessing the OP wants a car with a warranty? Not sure why people are saying things like "Mmm for £15k I'd buy a souped up Impreza" when its obvious the OP isn't looking for a car that is too raw, and probably isn't looking to get into a car that he could easily kill himself in.

No one is saying get a "souped up Impreza". Also with the Teg. It's not like imported DC5's come straight off the ship and then down to your local Kevin's second hand automobiles. The decent import places will convert the car to UK standards, give the car a full service and in a lot of cases will give a warranty too. 15k is a lot of money to blow on a car and after only driving a Suzuki swift, anything is going to feel fast.

If Import is a absolute no then please have a go in the old civic first. If Clarkson can not convince you to get the old Civic i give up :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfqN_DDkppc

Associate
Although the new type R is not as raw as the old type r, I would get the new type R over the old one without question. Why? its looks better IMO, interior is more comfortable and modern. The old shape is still a good car but looks dated now, especially the interior.

thought about other hatchbacks? Golf GTI?, ED30? Focus ST?

JKD

JKD

Associate
Have you checked civinfo.org for the list of faults you're likely to get with a new shape Civic? Had my new shape Civic for all of 8 months before I moved it on due to all the 'characterisitics' that it popped up.

Having said that - if I could get an 08 Civic type R that I could be sure they've built properly I'd be there in a flash.

VTR

VTR

Soldato
It's not so much about driving experience but how sensible and what kind of driver you are really mate, of course experience comes into play but you just need to learn to respect a fast car and not drive like an idiot. Only you know what you'll be like with a quicker car!

I had a Saxo VTR as a first car (100BHP) for 6 months then went onto an EvoII (300BHP) when I was 19 which I had for 2 years, never had any accidents or near death experiences :p As I say it's what type of driver you are aswell as your experience. I've now got rid of the Evo and have got an STi Scooby but unfortunatly going to have to sell it I think as I'm looking to move out next year.

Caporegime
Although the new type R is not as raw as the old type r, I would get the new type R over the old one without question. Why? its looks better IMO, interior is more comfortable and modern. The old shape is still a good car but looks dated now, especially the interior.

thought about other hatchbacks? Golf GTI?, ED30? Focus ST?

Then why get a Type-R at all? The whole point of living with a Type-R is for the driving experience. If you prefer what the car has in it's interior then the Type-R is totally the wrong choice of car for you.

Associate
Then why get a Type-R at all? The whole point of living with a Type-R is for the driving experience. If you prefer what the car has in it's interior then the Type-R is totally the wrong choice of car for you.

is it not possible to have both? Driving experience with an comfortable interior.

Back
Top Bottom