Post your bikes thread

Soldato
Yeah, I've done the same thing with an R6 throttle tube, which drops the throttle from 1/4 to 1/5 throw. Very nice for comfort. The throttle's still no faster than my hand so the response is identical, but not having to twist the wrist as much is very nice.

Cool yea someone else mentioned the R6 throttle tube to me aswell

I notice a big difference, hard to keep the front end down in first now lol.

Associate
On the subject of how quick an SV can be round the track the front runners of the minitwins race series can lap Brands Hatch Indy circuit in 51s, the front supersport 600 riders can do it in high 49s or mid 50s. An SV is a very capable bike in the right hands.

It doesn't take much in the way of upgrades either. The minitwin bikes have stock engines except for exhaust, air filter and fueling (jet kit or power commander) to match. We do take all road gear off to save weight. We also upgrade the suspension. However an acceptable standard to be running at the front can be acheived with a £150 hyper pro spring kit and some heavier weight oil. Braided brake hoses and better brake pads are also a good choice.

These (except taking the road gear off) are all things a lot of road riders do to ANY bike they buy, with possibly the exception of the suspension.

Associate
My da has a 1098s and I must admit he has what can only be described as chicken wings on his tyres lol.

Personally I found it to be boring as hell, it has no character and was unbelievably slow (in a straight line) and sounds just like his harley, deff. not worth 14K. Still it looks the part.

I'm looking at a replacement for my bandit 12 (sold the 636) but, I can't find a half decent new bike, they all look rubbish.

I'm considering a new 250 ninja, after all the craziness with its big sister, i'm finding its better to have a small bike that I can push to the max, than a race bike I can barely have a decent ride on.

Anyone have any experience with the new baby ninja?

Sorry but are we thinking of the same bike? The 1098 is anything but slow in a straight line! It does 0-60 in 3 seconds dead and has a top speed of 185mph. It's as quick as any 1 litre jap sports bike out there. It's definately quick enough to leave your bandit 12 or 636 behind in a flash.

Soldato
1098 will be around 20-30BHP down on the latest 1000cc IL4's but I guess SGCWill has ridden a 1098 and if not used to a twin they can seem slow accelerating until you look down a realise you're actually going pretty fast, flat torque just doesn't seem to feel that fast compared the top end rush of an IL4. Thats what a feel on my SP1 anyway.

Man of Honour
Sorry but are we thinking of the same bike? The 1098 is anything but slow in a straight line! It does 0-60 in 3 seconds dead and has a top speed of 185mph. It's as quick as any 1 litre jap sports bike out there. It's definately quick enough to leave your bandit 12 or 636 behind in a flash.

im gonna take a guess here, there is no way on earth a stock 1098 will do 185, unless you chuck it off a cliff.

just doesn't have the bhp.. only guessing here though :)

edit: it seems it makes 160bhp at crank, thats only about 10 up on something like a gixxer 750, and as mousemat said at least 20-30 less than any inline jap litre bike.... I rekon thats gonna be good enough for low 170s, you need HUGE raw power to push past 180 on any bike due to lousy aerodynamics of a large brick, and 160bhp at crank is just not gonna cut the mustard :(

saying that though the new R6 is meant to be able to crack 170, now thats some feat.... really dont know how yamaha have achieved that

I think all bike these days are being geared way to high, better have say 170mph top speed and crazy acceleration everywhere else

Last edited:
Associate
I'm no expert but just a quick example. Last week my 2 friends took out bikes on test ride from DK motors. One had a 1098 and the other ZX10 both fairly new. My friend on the ZX10 said he left the 1098 for dust. His words not mine. They said the 1098 is great on the straight but pants round the corners but even so the kwak still left him. He said at one point he was doing 180 and had to slow down because the strap on his helmet was strangling him he was going that fast. Both are skilled and seasoned riders but they said they would have the ZX10 any day over the 1098. They said the 1098 has the grunt but doesn't put it down as well as the kwak.

Wiki said:
The 1098/1098 S makes a manufacturer claimed 160 hp (119 kW), 90.4 lb·ft (122.6 N·m) torque, and weighs 173 kg (381 lb). The 0-60 mph time is less than 2.5 seconds and top speed is estimated at 186 mph (299 km/h).The 1098 R makes a manufacturer claimed 180 hp (134 kW), 98.8 lb·ft (134 N·m) torque. All these figures give the 1098 the highest torque-to-weight ratio of any production sport bike ever made.

Soldato
^^
Love how they put estimated, dont they test their bikes :S

im gonna take a guess here, there is no way on earth a stock 1098 will do 185, unless you chuck it off a cliff.

just doesn't have the bhp.. only guessing here though :)

edit: it seems it makes 160bhp at crank, thats only about 10 up on something like a gixxer 750, and as mousemat said at least 20-30 less than any inline jap litre bike.... I rekon thats gonna be good enough for low 170s, you need HUGE raw power to push past 180 on any bike due to lousy aerodynamics of a large brick, and 160bhp at crank is just not gonna cut the mustard :(

saying that though the new R6 is meant to be able to crack 170, now thats some feat.... really dont know how yamaha have achieved that

I think all bike these days are being geared way to high, better have say 170mph top speed and crazy acceleration everywhere else

Yea pretty sure the 1098 is only good for maybe 180 with a downwind lol, in all the reviews the rider would have to work had to beat a 750 nevermind a litre bike, Maybe the 1098R will have more of a chance :p

Soldato
They said the 1098 is great on the straight but pants round the corners but even so the kwak still left him. He said at one point he was doing 180 and had to slow down because the strap on his helmet was strangling him he was going that fast.

Should be the other way around. A well set up 1098 should be awesome round the corners and driving out of them, then lose to the top end rush of of the ZX10R on the straight. As for 180mph - no doubt the clocks read that but it wont have been close. Doing a real 180 on a bike is bloody hard work. At Bruntingthorpe testing grounds 2 mile long straight it was hard enough, and my clocks were reading close to 190 when I had to brake hard but the datalogger showed just 165 - its amazing how inaccurate bike speedos are at that sort of speed.

I'm not saying the ZX10R cant get to it, but its hard work and takes a while in a controlled environment, nevermind a road. You also need to be pretty slim to tuck yourslef in enough as its all aerodynamics at that speed.

Man of Honour
yeah they miles out.. with a speedohealer and a tank mounted gps I calibrated mine so at 100mph I was within 0.5mph. With a slight gearing change I had to dial out 14.5%!!

Your looking at 6-10% though even for stock speedo at those speeds...

Since doing this I do notice now even a true to life 160 feels quick... though bike still pulling like a train so plenty left to come I'm sure, rekon I'd bounce limiter at about 174ish in top :), all ya need for the road though ;) (stock speedo would have been showing approaching 190)

Last edited:
Associate
Like i said all from word of mouth as it were!!!! You know what mates are like for tellin likkle white fibs!!!!:D:D
That was from there own personal opinions and like was mentioned it depends on the setup of the bike. They both seemed to appreciate the kwak more and the lad that took out the 1098 is a BIG duc fan. Shattered dreams maybe????:p

Hey 100 posts as well!!!! It's only took me 8 1/2 months lol

Man of Honour
if it was the new 08 ZX10 i'd not be surprised, it's really that good, both honda and kwak have really raised the bar this year... makes mine feel like a barge tbh, easily best bike I've ever rode, gonna have to speak nicely with bank next year :(

Man of Honour
it's getting crazy the lengths they are having to go now.. nothing a large hammer and screwdriver don't fix on the cat though :D, and you get such huge gains from junking stock systems.

the amount of emissions busting junk the bikes have is adding weight as well... seems noise regs are really tough to pass also, mine has a exhaust servo / butterfly just so it gets through that, though kwak deny it and say it's for low end power (it makes no difference on dyno except to noise though... so I disconnected it :)

new zx10 has noise baffling / foam on ram air intake to reduce intake growl, I mean wtf

Last edited:
Soldato
it's getting crazy the lengths they are having to go now.. nothing a large hammer and screwdriver don't fix on the cat though :D, and you get such huge gains from junking stock systems.

the amount of emissions busting junk the bikes have is adding weight as well... seems noise regs are really tough to pass also, mine has a exhaust servo / butterfly just so it gets through that, though kwak deny it and say it's for low end power (it makes no difference on dyno except to noise though... so I disconnected it :)

new zx10 has noise baffling / foam on ram air intake to reduce intake growl, I mean wtf

Yea its a shame, but as you said nothing a days work cant fix :p
Mine with Gsxr 1000 downpipes on sounds a lot noisier with my quill can and thats with the baffle in, so for my MOT im going to put my old quiet can on lol, should pass ok then.

Associate
Not the best picture but it's absolutely pouring down with rain here. Just got it last night for £4350, it's a 2007 ZX-6R with 3050 miles on the clock and it is mint, I'm really happy with it.

dsc0006bk2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom