A level chemistry panic thread

Soldato
I have my AS level chemistry exams tomorrow (edexcel) I'm sitting 3 units then I have 2 D+T exams an hour later = 6 hours in one day = one unhappy me :p
so basically I thought I was doing ok on the old revision side of things, had done a few past papers, I had biology today so have been concentrating on that for the last few days and I came to do some past papers tonight and I'm doing really badly,
Any tips from people that are doing or have done chemistry A level for the exam please?

cheers
Collisster

Permabanned
hehe i have aqa chemo tomorrow

i had biology today as well =(

I did 6 past papers tonight, " for each module) without books, when you come to mark it and you've got something wrong, just learn how to do that. next time when it comes up you'll know how to do it. that's the best way of revising tbh.

int

int

Soldato
Go over past papers again and again. It's the easiest and the best way to pass the A-Level sciences. Back when I did them, all of my classes (Physics, Biology and Chemistry) put emphasis on past papers, there was never any actual "revision" other than finding a hard question and looking up how to work it out.

Just repetition will be enough to get an A :)

Soldato
I was panicking earlier today for paper 2 and 3B (edexcel as well), but now I'm feeling pretty good about paper 2. I haven't done revision for 3B yet, but I'm about to do it now. Got until 9:00 to do it...

Paper 1 should be easy enough though. There's not that much to remember and it's all stuff that has been slightly expanded on since GCSE really...

Edit: a lot of people are in the same situation. And chemistry is regarded by many to be the hardest of all the AS levels.And I can see why...

Last edited:
Soldato
My eldest is doing her A lever chemistry tomorrow. I got a Wii and some games this afternoon but couldn't tell her about it tonight in case it messed up her revision. Tomorrow maybe but she's doing her decision making maths on Friday (it's all about algorithms). I wonder how long I can keep a Wii secret :p

Associate
My eldest is doing her A lever chemistry tomorrow. I got a Wii and some games this afternoon but couldn't tell her about it tonight in case it messed up her revision. Tomorrow maybe but she's doing her decision making maths on Friday (it's all about algorithms). I wonder how long I can keep a Wii secret :p

TBH mate if memory serves me correctly I think it would take more than a Wii to make someone mess up decision maths :p

Permabanned
Chemistry is the hardest a-level imo although i only have experience of 5

Got my ones on the 12th and 19th 2 tests on each day! I particularily don't like chemistry because you never really 'learn' anything, you just remember. For example, with maths you learn the method to work out how to do something. You can then apply that to a numerous amount of situations. In chemistry, you remember that a certain chemical reaction causes the liquid to turn from one colour to another. However if you look at another reaction, there is no knowledge to work out the colour change. I'm sure at a much higher level it becomes more fun, with equations allowing you to actually work out in theory what colour it should be etc, but thats not included at this level. That the main reason i hate chemistry.

Soldato

Got my ones on the 12th and 19th 2 tests on each day! I particularily don't like chemistry because you never really 'learn' anything, you just remember. For example, with maths you learn the method to work out how to do something. You can then apply that to a numerous amount of situations. In chemistry, you remember that a certain chemical reaction causes the liquid to turn from one colour to another. However if you look at another reaction, there is no knowledge to work out the colour change. I'm sure at a much higher level it becomes more fun, with equations allowing you to actually work out in theory what colour it should be etc, but thats not included at this level. That the main reason i hate chemistry.

Yeah, I really hate it now. That's how I've felt about it ever since we started organic chemistry. I have to take it next year... I won't get into a good uni if I take Media Studies at A2...

Associate

Stick with it......Chemistry all makes sense in the end.

Caporegime
Chemistry was my only A-level that I got better as the year/exams got on.

I had to do 6 exams over the course and each exam I got a higher mark than the last one, and was the only person in the class to do so :)

Wasn't hard thou, the first exam I got a D, the last exam I got an A but it rounded out to a C in the end, was about 1 mark off a B :(

Soldato
Chemistry is regarded generally as one of the hardest a-levels. Same applies to the degree as its such a large area and a complete understanding of the models for the theories used must be retaught each time.

Back
Top Bottom