The all things Anime related thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Well spent the afternoon watching through Gunslinger Girl, will be interested to see what the second series is like. After that watched the Kirameki Project, ... urm ... interesting ... takes the pantsu area of fanservice a bit far when you're getting "fanservice" off a large mecha !?!?!

Watched the end of season one of Clannad just now ... good series but I think I prefer the emotional intensity of Kanon

I see there's a few bit of interesting news up at AnimeonDVD regarding release schedules for Code Geass and other Bandai releases, (doesn't mention Sola and True Tears :( ). There's also a note that Nozomi are releasing ToHeart as a boxset in the summer. I like this series, (I have the original 4 DVD release), with it's gentle slice of life story line but I really like the third series (ToHeart2) but the chances of that getting licensed are probably minimal as the second series is pretty weak.

Now off to try and remember if I have Strawberry Panic disk 2 on order or not ...

Commissario
Chances are if Rightstuf/Nozomi licensed ToHeart they will consider the sequels if they can get them for the right price, as it seems they are fairly happy to get niche stuff if they can release it sub only.

Kanon is one that I need to finish getting on DVD, I picked up disk one ages ago but haven't got any of the later ones yet (or even viewed disk 1).

I'm currently watching Battle Athletes and trying to finish scanning in some slides*, BAV is pretty good fun.

Soldato
Chances are if Rightstuf/Nozomi licensed ToHeart they will consider the sequels if they can get them for the right price, as it seems they are fairly happy to get niche stuff if they can release it sub only.

Kanon is one that I need to finish getting on DVD, I picked up disk one ages ago but haven't got any of the later ones yet (or even viewed disk 1).

I'm currently watching Battle Athletes and trying to finish scanning in some slides*, BAV is pretty good fun.

In my opinion Kanon is very very good. I can't recommend it enough. It can be very emotionally intense at times and is a good example of the medium.

One of the best AMV's I have seen is based on it too, (Last Goodbye by Reilik (? I think ... I'm at work so can't check at the moment) ... warning does contain spoilers :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I see on ANN that ADV have confirmed that whilst some of their manga releases have been delayed due to their reorganization of their anime business these should still be released in the short term, (I want my Yotsuba&! vol 6 which was supposed to come out in Feb!).

I am also interested to see that Honey and Clover has been announced for UK release. I've wondered about this series for quite a while and whilst I think it is licensed on R1 it doesn't appear to have been readily available for quite some time.

Soldato
Just finished watching Shakugan No Shana Vol 1 which has just come out on R2 DVD. Seems to be pretty good with good visuals and an interesting plot line. Without giving the plot away it appears to be a magical girl fantasy type genre series set in the normal world.

Soldato
Anyone noticed lately that a lot of releases are subs only no dubs?While i usually watch and like sub versions(For obvious reasons;))
I feel i am getting short changed as most are not a lot cheaper than discs that have dubs
If the animé producers(Japanese)released discs with subs already on their Japanese releases they would get more money faster i would have thought(plus we the otaku would not have to wait years sometimes to see the episodes

Soldato
Anyone noticed lately that a lot of releases are subs only no dubs?While i usually watch and like sub versions(For obvious reasons;))
I feel i am getting short changed as most are not a lot cheaper than discs that have dubs
If the animé producers(Japanese)released discs with subs already on their Japanese releases they would get more money faster i would have thought(plus we the otaku would not have to wait years sometimes to see the episodes

But why would they release disks with English subs in Japan? ... It would just be an extra cost for something that they're target market there are unlikely to be interested in. The sub only releases for R1 or R2 mean that the company who has licensed the series for release there can release it more quickly and cheaply than if they were to get a dub track on it too, this can be seen by the series which are less likely to be popular, hence sell a lot of copies, hence make pots of cash only getting subs. Or even in some cases a quick sub only release being done first to test the water as it were with a dub release in the future.

I prefer the disk to have dub as well as sub as that at least gives me a choice what to watch but I'll take sub only over no release at all.

Soldato
but I'll take sub only over no release
me too but for the money i am paying i expect value for my £
I just hope it is not the sign of things to come, us ,(the fans)being shafted for the company/region 1/US liscencee to make more money for less expense
And i don`t think the releases WITHOUT dub are cheaper than releases WITH dub if you see what i mean :)

her for examplehttp://www.dvdboxoffice.com/837-1186137-19186142/movies/products/90336348?fs=true
...ok it is a bit cheaper than SOME releases but i would still prefer the option of dub or not
i cant see me getting discs like this when i ..errr emmm (already have them;)) in japanese audio only:(

Last edited:
Commissario
I think from what i can make out the anime market in the us is having some trouble, partly to do with piracy hitting it hard, and partly because a lot of the companies have put out a lot of stuff that has barely made a profit, so some of them are now releasing (cheaper*) licences that they're only doing sub only releases on to save money, and in at least one case (gauron Laggon) they're releasing a sub only version as fast as possible, with the full version due next year.

In some ways the dub haters are getting what they wanted, but in the long term if it continues too far it will hurt the market a lot (most casual fans I've spoken to tend to watch the dubs, and even I tend to watch the dub unless i'm concentrating fully on the TV).

Personally I'm happy as long as we get a release, but sub only tends to put anything lower on my "to buy" list than a comparable series that has the dub - unless the sub is significantly cheaper.

*Things that only appeal to the subset of fans who are also unlikely to care about dubs.

Soldato
me too but for the money i am paying i expect value for my £
I just hope it is not the sign of things to come, us ,(the fans)being shafted for the company/region 1/US liscencee to make more money for less expense
And i don`t think the releases WITHOUT dub are cheaper than releases WITH dub if you see what i mean :)

her for examplehttp://www.dvdboxoffice.com/837-1186137-19186142/movies/products/90336348?fs=true
...ok it is a bit cheaper than SOME releases but i would still prefer the option of dub or not
i cant see me getting discs like this when i ..errr emmm (already have them;)) in japanese audio only:(

By cheaper I don't mean cheaper to the customer. I mean that it's cheaper for the vendor to produce as they don't have to create an audio master for the series in English. If it's cheaper for them to get the series to market then they do not have to sell as many units at the normal price point to break even and hence series which are likely to sell less can be realistically produced.

Given the state of the market at times it would appear to be less a case of the companies making more money and more a case of making back enough to cover the initial license cost outlay.

edit: bascially what Werewolf is saying whilst I was typing this

Soldato
Yay!

Well Makoto looked like she was getting a bit lonely ... but fortunately a package came from Japan this afternoon with her friend ...

... yep it's Ayu :D:D:D

(for people haven't seen it they are two of the principle characters from Kanon)

It's a very nice figure and seems well made. I've got it in it's default state but it does comes with parts to be displayed differently (but that would involve spoilers ;))

Commissario
Is that a bean roll thingy she's eating?

I just finished Battle Athletes Victory, which was quite good fun, although most of the characters were stereotypes (there were a couple of surprises), some of the in jokes were pretty good ;) (I think someone was a fan of Konami console games in the early 90's;)).

I think i'll make a start on Negima next as that arrived a couple of days ago :)

Soldato
Is that a bean roll thingy she's eating?

I just finished Battle Athletes Victory, which was quite good fun, although most of the characters were stereotypes (there were a couple of surprises), some of the in jokes were pretty good ;) (I think someone was a fan of Konami console games in the early 90's;)).

I think i'll make a start on Negima next as that arrived a couple of days ago :)

Nope, she's just got her hands clasped in this pic and the alternative ... well it would involve a huge spoiler which is larger than just a few buns ;)

I've been off work unwell for a few days so I have been watching a few things. Including the weekend I've seen Divergence Eve (thought I'd give it another chance as I'd impulse purchased the sequel series :rolleyes: Found it better this time than when I watched it last time), The World of Narue (found it quite good if a little light weight) and I started finally getting round to watching Samauri Champaloo (seen the first two disks so far and finding it excellent :D).

Did watch the first disk of Tenjho Tenge at the weekend. Found it to be a bit meh though.

Soldato
The World of Narue (found it quite good if a little light weight)
The manga puts more flesh on the storyline :)
On a side note where would be the best place to look for manga,i am trying to find book 5 in this series and am failing ,it seems that CPM are no longer (publishers of this series)have looked on amazon,*bay,and a few other sites
appaently the japanese have book 9 but i don`t think any more than book 5 have been translated

Soldato
The manga puts more flesh on the storyline :)
On a side note where would be the best place to look for manga,i am trying to find book 5 in this series and am failing ,it seems that CPM are no longer (publishers of this series)have looked on amazon,*bay,and a few other sites
appaently the japanese have book 9 but i don`t think any more than book 5 have been translated

Hmmm ... looking at the places I normally get Manga from they have only listed volumes 1-4 of this, are you sure that it has actually come out, (I have several Manga where they say at the end of the volume that the next one is due out at X time which is log gone with no sign of it :( ).

Soldato
World of Narue: 5 (Paperback)
by Tomohiro Marukawa (Author)

No customer reviews yet. Be the first.
Availability: Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

• Check out the world's greatest heroes on film and television, on consoles and in print, in our Comic Book Heroes store.
Product details
  • Paperback: 208 pages
  • Language English
  • ISBN-10: 1578007259
  • ISBN-13: 978-1578007257
  • Average Customer Review: No customer reviews yet. Be the first.
  • Amazon.co.uk Sales Rank: 1,344,040 in Books (See Bestsellers in Books)
    (Publishers and authors: Improve Your Sales)
only this

Soldato
I own 1-4 and am only half way through 3 .I like to get all the discs/manga in a series before i run out but it looks like this one is a no show then? :(

Looks like it .... always annoys me when things either arn't released or are heavily delayed, (e.g. the next volume of Yotsuba&! which we've been waiting for since its release date back in February (but at least that is due to be released) and UnblanaceXUnbalance where theres no sign of the next volume ...)

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom