• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Just died?

Associate
My mum was writing an e-mail on her computer tonight and the screen suddenly went blank. I went and had a look at it but the screen was still on, just in standby mode. I finished what I was doing and had a proper look after it'd been off for a while to make sure it wasn't overheating. Lo and behold, the motherboard beeps when I turn it on so I look up what those mean.

Long-short-short = No monitor attached or GPU

With a slight downfeeling, I swapped the card for another one I know works and turn the PC back on. It works so I put the old card into the machine I took the new card out of and that doesn't work either.

I'm assuming at this point that the GFX card is dead? I didn't think they just "die". I would have thought that there would at least be some indication that it was on it's way out but no, nothing.

I've looked at the card and I can't see anything wrong like a popped capicator or slightly risen heatsink. For reference, it's an old AGP ATi X700 Pro HIS IceQ 128MB and I've never once had a problem with it.

Associate
yeah graphics cards can just die - mine did about 8 months ago X1300
it was working fine then all of the sudden it was as though the pc went in to standby
popped in a new card 8500GT i think i used and pc worked fine

Back
Top Bottom