Air Con Regas

Associate
How do I go about getting my air conditioning regassed? Black interior with black leather really does demand some seriously cold air. Anybody know anywhere in Bristol I can take it? I imagine the DIY kits are not a good idea...

Soldato
Kwik fit - If it doesnt work or isnt colder you dont pay. I got mine done and it didnt work. Didnt pay a penny. Looked a couple of days later and it was a blown fuse. Put a higher rted one in and it works spot on! :D Coooool.d

Soldato
Aye Kwik Fit is the place to go. Just under £50 for it to be done. I think they say it will be 4 degrees colder or your money back.

M.

Associate
OP
I took it to kwik-fit.

Ambient temp: 23 deg
Temperature through centre vent:
Before: 20 deg
After: 6 deg

£45 well spent I think! Just dropped it off and 1 hour later I have icy cool air once more.

Soldato
Apart from the obvious, i.e. doesn't feel as cold as it should, are there any other tell tale signs your air con really needs a re-gas? Like age, smell etc? How long do they generally take to deteriorate and is it a linear fall off or not?

Associate
Mine needed regassing after the condesor broke and all the gas leaked out lol, took the Kwik fit people an hour to work out there was no gas in it lol
Didn't pay a penny tho lol

Associate
OP
Apparantly you lose between 10-20% of the gas a year, depending on the condition of the seals etc. I regularly turn the air con on so it circulates the lubricants to all the rubber seals keepiong them fresh. I diagnosed it by changing the air filter, when that hardly improved matters I checke that it was cooling anything at all by checking the cool feed pipe under the bottom. That was cold so I reasoned that it just needed topping up as the compressor must be working.

Soldato
Im considering getting this done myself. My air-con is cold, but not ice cold. I realised yesterday after the car had been in the sun for a couple of hours that it takes a while for the cabin to really cool down nicely. It's only £44.95 to get it done at Kwik-Fit so I may pop down there...the downside is, of course, that I will have to go to Kwik-Fit... :/

Soldato
I booked my girlfriends car in for an MOT at Kwik Fit which was £39.95, if you book an aircon recharge online at the same time it's only an extra £25. £64.95 for both is not bad value.

With a modern electronic aircon station a recharge is really no more difficult than attaching an airline to a tyre.

Soldato
I took it to kwik-fit.

Ambient temp: 23 deg
Temperature through centre vent:
Before: 20 deg
After: 6 deg

£45 well spent I think! Just dropped it off and 1 hour later I have icy cool air once more.
Was that on a car with climate control? I've got aircon in my Type-R but it's just a on/off button, I've got no idea what the temperature is :)

Back
Top Bottom