Any one doing their bike test soon?

Soldato
Hi,

My mate has just passed and now I fancy it. As the tougher rules come in before Autumn I'm thinking about getting my CBT out of the way. This would mean i'll have to do the DA too though before it gets tougher..

I can probably afford all that but the bike/insurance/kit I can't until next year when I finish uni :( Has anyone passed and then not bought a bike for a while?

My mate will sell me his stuff cheap as he's upgrading (just offered me his helmet with 2 visors for £35, which I might buy anyway) so the kit shouldn't cost too much.

Just don't wanna get to riding a propper bike and suck or be worried about it (I've always fancied the 600cc Ninja) Also I think it would be pointless buying a smaller cc bike just to get to grips with if it can be done on a big boys bike (or can it?)

What are your views?

Cheers.

Man of Honour
Progessing to bigger bikes can't be rushed. My advice is go for the DA, pass your test and ride a 125 for a bit. Get some key riding skills behind you and road craft as It's not just about riding the bike. After a year, your insurance will be a little cheaper and you can treat yourself to a bigger bike. But before you do, book in for advance day out. They are well worth the money. They'll show you how to progress faster and sharper without breaking any laws.

Soldato
Progessing to bigger bikes can't be rushed. My advice is go for the DA, pass your test and ride a 125 for a bit. Get some key riding skills behind you and road craft as It's not just about riding the bike. After a year, your insurance will be a little cheaper and you can treat yourself to a bigger bike. But before you do, book in for advance day out. They are well worth the money. They'll show you how to progress faster and sharper without breaking any laws.

I guess this depends on the person and what they prefer to do, I myself had never ridden a bike prior to my DAS course, and although the 125s were fun (the first bike I ever rode etc) they were nothing compared to the 500s.

If I were in the position of giving a friend advice on getting a bike, I would suggest they go straight for a big bike – unless they were a complete tool on the road, then I would tell them to 125 for a year or so, or walk :p

I totally agree with you on the advanced training though, I’ve been on the road almost a year now, and have yet to get myself onto an advanced course, I do have bikesafe booked in September though.

Back to the original question, if you can afford DAS AmDaMan, I personally think you are better going for that.

Scort.

Soldato
Theres no point doing DAS, where you will be spending most of your time learnign how to ride a 500cc, and then riding a 125 for a year.

In all honesty depending on the rider you'd probably be absolutely fine on a sports 600 if you're sensible, but if you did want something a bit tamer to start with there are plenty of decent 500/600 cc bikes which are ideal when less experienced. In fact I'd argue that a 500cc is safer to ride than a 125.

I do agree abotu the extra training though. DAS really doesn't teach any useful cornering techniques and the observation training is pretty basic.

Associate
I just passed and got an SV650 Sport. I've been driving for 4 ish year prior.
If I die, then maybe try a 125, but after getting on the 500 for the DAS, I couldn't bare the thought of going back to a 125. Plus I wanted a 600. :/
Also if you've been driving, a 125 doesn't seem all that fast anyway, compared to say a 16 year old doing it, and it being faster than a skateboard or rollerskates or whatever these kids play on these days, shotguns perhaps.

It depends how stupid you are to an extent, and maybe if you've already been driving, so you know basics like a red light = lady of the night, a green light = go.

I also agree with Saga here, DAS isn't comprehensive enough, a bit of counter-steering talk, basic stuff. Nothing whatsoever on filtering. Apart from taking thousands of people out of business, it'll be interesting to see if bike deaths decrease when the new stuff has had time to get going.

To summarise: It's your choice, you should know if you're thick enough to get a big bike, go to fast and die. I'm still gradually finding my limits, not going (too) mental, taking it slow in the twisty bits etc.

Guv

Guv

Soldato
Did my CBT in March, got my theory test in a few weeks and will then book the practical test for early August (hopefuly). Definitely want it out the way before the new rules come in

Soldato
OP
I'm sensible enough and know my limits, even in a car so i'm hoping some of that will rub off on biking. The main thing i'm worried about I suppose is the operation of the bike, getting used to gears etc. My mates R6 felt pretty heavy and looks like it would be cumbersome to manage.

What does an advanced day out involve? Is it the equivalent to pass pluss for cars?

My mate is a 1st rider on an R6, the insurance was £500, is that reasonable? He's 23 i'm 22.

Soldato
I'm sensible enough and know my limits, even in a car so i'm hoping some of that will rub off on biking. The main thing i'm worried about I suppose is the operation of the bike, getting used to gears etc. My mates R6 felt pretty heavy and looks like it would be cumbersome to manage.

What does an advanced day out involve? Is it the equivalent to pass pluss for cars?

My mate is a 1st rider on an R6, the insurance was £500, is that reasonable? He's 23 i'm 22.

Yep that is good for first bike

Sportsbikes will feel different to all other bikes, their weight distribution feels different with it pushing you over forks, also 'Most' sportsbikes come with steering dampers as standard so that makes them more cumbersome to manage low speeds and moving it about.

Associate
I'm 24 and insurance was 700 ish for a new sv650 sport. All depends on locale, if I lived in Wales still I think it worked out they'd pay me hehe.

I remember after I did my CBT I went on the back of my friend bike, sat on it first too on my own, I thought "Crikey Flash Gordon, this is a heavy bike, i'll never be able to do this!" But now i'm fine with mine. Don't worry about it feeling cumbersome, i'm only 5 foot 8 and as strong as a hat but I managed. When you're moving, they're all pretty damn agile i think. My 650 feels much lighter to sling around than the 500 I did the DAS on. Regarding the controls, it already seems natural to me, after 3 days of riding hehe. Just don't rush it when you do get the thing, change in plenty of time etc. The SV is a V-Twin which spoils me a bit as the engine braking is quite noticable, at least compared to the thing I learned on. Not sure how an inline 4 goes, not ridden one yet.

Not sure about the advanced day out, but if it's the same thing my instructor was on about then yeah, like pass plus, teaches more about countersteering, filtering etc, night riding, bad weather perhaps.

Associate
I started on a CG125 then a DRZ400SM and onto a 2007 ZX6R Ninja within 6 months. The only training I had was the CBT and I just taught myself after that and passed first time.

But I think most people could manage a 600cc sportsbike as your first bike aslong as you take it easy. My ZX6R is quite easy to ride at low RPMs but is totally different when you open it up. At first they can feel really big and heavy but you get used to it very quickly.

Associate
I should add i'm still running mine in so have yet to take it above 6000rpm :(
Good thing about that is I get about 200 to a 17 litre tank without even trying!
Mine is only 70 odd bhp though, sports 600s are around the 100 mark if I am not mistaken. Guy on a rideout I attended on Sunday had a Gixxer 600, that was rather nippy!

Soldato
I should add i'm still running mine in so have yet to take it above 6000rpm :(
Good thing about that is I get about 200 to a 17 litre tank without even trying!
Mine is only 70 odd bhp though, sports 600s are around the 100 mark if I am not mistaken. Guy on a rideout I attended on Sunday had a Gixxer 600, that was rather nippy!

:o do you ride conservatively? im sure I used to only get 140 to my sv650 lol, if I ride really reserved on the gixer 750 I can see 130 to a 17liter tank.

Associate
Got my test on the 25th July, so am doing the DAS course the week preceeding.
For my first bike I'm after something under £2k that is around the 600cc mark so have been looking at CBR 600's, SV 650's, Bandits, Hornets etc. What I would really like is a late Gixxer 750, but I'll take my time and learn the ropes on a cheap 600 first. :)

Soldato
Sort of thinking of getting a bike, been driving for 18 years. Thinking of starting on a 125 for a bit to see if I like it. I take it the CBT is still required in the new test regime and there will be no other tests to do (as it is now).

Never rode a (motor)bike before and it all looks a bit daunting where to start :confused:

Plus im not looking forward to telling me parents im thinking of getting one even though im the wrong side of 30 :(:o

Probably going to miss out on the current tests so may well be next year.

Associate
I'd advise against buying a second hand lid.

Get the best protective gear you can afford, get a bike which feels comfortable to you (initially a sports bike may not be the best choice).

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=372224 would be a good read.

Oh and get insurance quotes BEFORE you buy a bike, you might find the bike you want costs an absoloute fortune to insure.

The R6 is a very light and nimble machine, there are far heavier bikes about.

I've no idea what I get to a tank, I just fill it when it is empty.

Associate
:o do you ride conservatively? im sure I used to only get 140 to my sv650 lol, if I ride really reserved on the gixer 750 I can see 130 to a 17liter tank.

Well as I say, keeping it below 6k certainly helps hehe. Mind you, as i've obnly done 500 miles total, it's only the once I brimmed it then was local enough not to worry about filling it up, and so saw 180 before the little light started to flash ever so often. I imagine it'll go down when i can rev freely. Though saying that I am still suprised, i'd have thought a new engine wouldn't get good mpg, but oh well!

I agree with the lid statement. The padding starts to give so it'll shape to the owner, also he could have dropped it, knowingly or not. Decent lids start at about £100, and it's a worthwhile expenditure, better to spend 100 less on the bike and get a decent lid than save 65 quid by buying a second hand one.

Slow speed stuff: That's what seperates good riders from crap riders, or so i'm informed. I'm getting pretty good at it after having got lost several times on the sv up all sorts of narrow lanes! Never forget lifesavers! You might be going fast but there's always a faster crazier biker flying past you when you least expect it!

Back
Top Bottom