Had my motorbike test today...

Associate
AND I PASSED! YUP-IDY-DO-DA-DAY-DUM! :D:p

I have an Aprilia RS125 which I have barely ridden since I got it because a) I haven't been at home to work at it, b) mechanic has been fixing the clutch for about 5 weeks now, c) busy. Hopefully lifting it tomorrow and probably have it running over the weekend.

I went into a few places today to look about bikes but insurance is pretty ridiculous tbh. Cheapest I could get was £1048 on a Honda CBR600F I think. Or N maybe. Going to be ringing places over the weekend for different bikes.

I'm thinking of just keeping the RS125 for a year for low insurance, but I don't think I will be able to wait that long. Leaves me having a licence pretty pointless. :(

Ideas please. :)

Soldato
My mates sister failed her 4th Driving test as all funded for by my mates Nan. So yeah he's sort of anoyed at his sister.

Man of Honour
check out insurance for a Suzuki gs500, not a sports bike, but a big step up from a 125 and very cheap to buy/insure.

And congratulations..

Associate
how much is the bike test? n what do u actually do? how long does it take etc.

interested cause a fancy doing it, any pics of yah bike?

Soldato
Congrats mate!

I passed my theory test for bikers a week ago today, and have my practical test booked for the end of July.

It's a good time to get your license if you are an aspiring motorbiker as in October the law changes and it will be A LOT harder to pass and therefor cost more money etc :(

- The theory test is £30 and is almost identical to the car one. (with more biker questions thrown in). Also you gotta do the hazard perception test which is complete BS IMO.

- My practical is booked with a company with a 99.9% pass rate and its costing me $500 for three days full practice with the practical test on the final day.

Last edited:

Dup

Dup

Soldato
My local place do 3/4/5/6 day courses from CBT to fill unrestricted license (if over 21). 6 day is £700, Free retest in winter months if needed.

Associate
Can you go straight out and get a big bike these days?
I thought there was some rule about having to stay under 33bhp for a year unless you took your test on a more powerful bike, in which case you're allowed to ride something of similar power to which you passed on?

Associate
OP
Congrats mate!

I passed my theory test for bikers a week ago today, and have my practical test booked for the end of July.

Nice one! Good luck when it comes round to your test. Pretty sure you'll be fine.

interested cause a fancy doing it, any pics of yah bike?

I started lessons about 2 months ago. Done a course at £175 for 5 lessons, and the bike at the test. I had an extra lesson because I had a gap of about 1 month off the bike before my test. That was an extra £30.

Test itself was £53.50, and was pretty simple. Was out on the bike for 30 minutes or so and I got 2 minors (so must be easy).

The examiner said I was pretty stable on the bike and he didn't have much to say after the test other than try not to speed.

No pictures at the minute as it has been mostly stripped since I got it. I've had it as a project bike so I had to do somethings to it to get it 100%.

check out insurance for a Suzuki gs500, not a sports bike, but a big step up from a 125 and very cheap to buy/insure.
GS500 looks dead on. Not really worried about getting a sports bike any-more as I'm getting quite fond of naked bikes now. Going to ring about the GS500 now..

Associate
OP
I thought there was some rule about having to stay under 33bhp for a year unless you took your test on a more powerful bike, in which case you're allowed to ride something of similar power to which you passed on?

You are restricted to 33bhp, but from what I understand you can do that to pretty much all bikes.

If you do your DAS (have to be over 21 I think) you can go straight to a unrestricted bike, but it is a week course I think.

Soldato

If you are over 21 you can do a "direct entry test". This is where you do the test on a 500/550Cc bike and if you pass, you are unlimited (pass and go buy a ninja, GL with insurance).

If you are under 21 I am pretty sure you have to do the test to ride UPTO 500cc but beyond that you have to do another small test or something similar.

Being over 21 I just went direct entry so not too sure on being under.

Associate
You are restricted to 33bhp, but from what I understand you can do that to pretty much all bikes.

If you do your DAS (have to be over 21 I think) you can go straight to a unrestricted bike, but it is a week course I think.

Ahh, so you buy a Fireblade and limit it to 33bhp :D

Great idea until an idiot in a Saxo wants a race at which point it doesn't seem so great :(

Man of Honour
If you are under 21 I am pretty sure you have to do the test to ride UPTO 5

under 21 you do an A2 test which restricts you to 33bhp(well it's actually kw per ton but basically 33bhp). Doesn't matter what size engine is. But most people restrict 400s or 600s after 2 years you then automatically get you full license, even if you haven't ridden in those two years.

Associate

You are supposed to be limited to 33bhp for 2 years but very few people bother with this for the whole 2 years, me included.

Soldato
Thats the one!! I knew it was something along those lines.

Thats not too bad if you ride for 2 years and then automatically are un-restricted.

For the purpose of learning I was considering stealing my old mans bike and having the engine BHP reduced (It's way over 33). In the end I couldn't be bothered due to costs. :)

Man of Honour
I have TPFT and I would have thought the insurance would still pay out for third party even though my bike is not restricted?

yes they will, they can however recover all costs from you if they wish. also if you have a bad crash, the police are likely to test your bike. Then you will get points or what ever the punishment is for riding without a license.

Back
Top Bottom