MSI N-Force 4 cooling.

Associate
Okay, hi guys, i've not been round these parts for ages - (years.... :eek:) so lets see if i haven't lost the knack....

I have an MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum. Revision 3....
All running nicely at stock, except the stock north bridge fan.

It usually - 99.999% - fails on cold boot, but with a little persuasion and perhaps a couple of restarts, it limps in to action, after enough time, it finally gets up to full speed.

Ok so no long term damage to the PC, but such an annoyance.

Now, what i'd like to ask for, is ideas for a replacement (not necessarily stock product) to over come this problem.

i dont want anything that sounds like a hoover.

I have a zalman NB47J, but that gets far too hot to touch when i installed it.

Soooo... Help? Please?
Alex

Soldato
Hi, Vantec do some that fit as i placed one on MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum, does the job fine and iirc did not sound like hoover considering the tiny fan size.

Or maybe try the bigger Zalman ZM-NBF47 perhaps?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
do you know if that zalman fits the board?

I will look at they other cooler you posted tho :) - do you know the model of the cooler? (not looked at website yet... just nipping out for a couple hours...)

thanks for the reply :)

Associate
Had a rev1 version of that board :) and the only problem i had with it was the northbridge fan, tried a zalman ZM-NBF47 but it wouldnt fit with my graphics card had a look at a few other solutions in the end my managed to get another msi northbridge fan and problem solved.

Associate
nft_99, how long have you had the replacement fan for? longer than it took the original one to break?

and how did you manage to get a replacement fan? was it from MSI?

problems started after about 18months was hit n miss at the start some times when i switched on it would be fine other times whining, then after couple months everytime my pc was booted

manage to source a replacement from a mate who worked at a computer shop, the board has been EOL for a while now so i doubt msi will be able to help you. Something of a similar design to the original would be your best bet the vantec Sean_uk mentions does look good.

good luck!

Associate
OP
thank you guys,

nft_99, that is exactly what happened with me, i put grease in the bearings of the fan, worked for a while, but now its every time. looks like the evercool is the way to go then!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom