Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
To add to the existing list - I carry my shock pump just in case, no idea why really because I've just realised that if the seal has blown then it will be useless anyway :o

Soldato
Loving the look of some of the bikes in this thread - and the "what do you carry with you" line of questions has helped me choose what to equip myself with now that I have a new bike on the way. It's only a Ridgeback MX2, but it was within my budget and I seriously feel the need to get out on a bike again, after many years in the wilderness with nothing.

If it really grabs me (and I'm hoping it does), then I'll go out and splash some proper cash. Anyone know of a good website for finding trails and tracks (and perhaps something muddier) in North Tyneside and southern Northumberland?

Soldato
Anybody familiar with hope hubs? Took my cassette off today and my freehub came off....pawls on the floor etc. Got it back together but found it strange!

I had that happen to me a couple of years ago. Took the rear wheel off to repair a puncture on my lunchbreak, the cassette and freehub fell off. A pal had the same thing happen with his Hope hub too. Common fault apparently.

The pain was the pawl's went flying and I had to buy new ones. Damn expensive for what they are.

Soldato
I had that happen to me a couple of years ago. Took the rear wheel off to repair a puncture on my lunchbreak, the cassette and freehub fell off. A pal had the same thing happen with his Hope hub too. Common fault apparently.

The pain was the pawl's went flying and I had to buy new ones. Damn expensive for what they are.

Yeh i was taking my bike to bits and about to clean the cassete....the whole thing came off.....grey sticky grease on my room floor and a puzzled look on ma face. Luckily i still had the pawls,seems a bit cheap the way its put together tbh. It had 3 pawls and its a 12mm bolt-through so what hub have a got? It aint a pro 2,could be a very early bulb?

Soldato
Even though I'm skint with Whistler in a couple of weeks I just relapsed and bought another bike :confused:

Photos when it arrives.

Legend mate :D

What did u get?

ps: Check out my very first whip attempt, I'm sure I got a bigger one later but it wasn't caught on vid :p
Not toooo bad for an old fart who's just learning?
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/25489/

Last edited:
Soldato
kona.jpg

bb needs replacing, so im looking for isis, and i need a bb that will last. i hear race face are good any recomendations?

Last edited:
Soldato
I want one of those too for commuting to work!
Been looking at a Specialized langster, but they are also too expensive.

What bike is that, and will the price translate over here, or is it just dirt cheap over there?

Soldato
just interested in what others carry.
Currently i carry a spare tube, mobile and couple of credit cards.
Been looking at the multi tools from topeak, park and Lezyne. The leyzne multi tool looks good.

Topeak Multi-tool (so allen keys etc), section of tooth paste tube (cheapskate way of repairing a tyre rip), chain PowerLinks, chain spliitter, tyre levers, 3 tubes, Leatherman mutli-tool, cable ties, spare brake pads (sometimes), pump, electrical tape (ended up taping my shorts together on one ride as they kept catching on the seat QR and droping my saddle), puncture repair kit.

I think that's everything - kitchen sink approach me.

Anyone else going to Mountain Mayhem this weekend - first time for me.

Soldato
I've got a 2006 Avalanche Expert (Black) XL but being 6'5" I find it a tad small in the cockpit, I find I'm sitting on the very back of the seat even though i've moved it back as far as it will go on the rails.

I'm after another seatpost with more layback. I'm looking at the Thomson with 10deg layback but I don't know if it's any different to what I've already got.

Pic of current GT seatpost:

While I'm here, I find the SDG Bel-Air RL uncomfortable, can anyone recommend another seat to try bearing in mind it will probably be a blind purchase from CRC

Soldato
I want one of those too for commuting to work!
Been looking at a Specialized langster, but they are also too expensive.

What bike is that, and will the price translate over here, or is it just dirt cheap over there?
It's not even branded, just cheap from the Far East somewhere.

TheBrooder:
Have you considered a longer stem? Moving the saddle back further compromises your pedalling position. As for a new saddle, everyone is different.

Soldato
It's not even branded, just cheap from the Far East somewhere.

TheBrooder:
Have you considered a longer stem? Moving the saddle back further compromises your pedalling position. As for a new saddle, everyone is different.

No I haven't considered that tbh, this one is at full length as it is tho and my leg still isn't absolutely straight when I touch the pedal with my heel.

Soldato
The V12's are off and I'm trying some new Blackspire Maggy pedals. So new that they aren't even on the Blackspire web site yet.

Slightly slimmer profile. No idea on exact weight but I expect they are around if not less than the 434g of the V12 Mags.

Better pics soon:

maggy1.jpg

maggy2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom