Please help, XP Pro giving me indigestion

Associate
Hi Everyone

A browse with Firefox this morning resulted in a full system lockup.
A hit of the reset button and all I got was the Windows Blue Bar Scroller with no advancement.
Started fine in Safe Mode, bad blocks being clocked on what I thought was the D partition of my drive.
Ran chkdsk and got nothing.
Ran Recovery Console, chkdsk of C found and fixed errors.
Restart, same deal.
Ran install for XP and hit repair.
Ambled through a repair, had to reset as it locked up but came back to my normal desktop.
Loads of F-Secure errors and MSSQL/SQLEXPRESS warnings/errors.
Restarted, that was a mistake.
Did the install/repair fiasco again and have managed to amble back to some sort of functionality after a few hits of the reset button.

New drive and OS are on the way, I’ve exported all my Firefox and SmartFTP settings, is there something that will do the same for IE7?

I’ve messed about with stopping services starting etc etc but alas it's not proved too helpful. God knows it could do with a fresh install anyway, but it's leapt upon and I'm scared. Well, gassy anyway.

Any thoughts appreciated, I tried uninstalling SQL but it just kicked off about it.

Associate
OP
Oh and in terms of windows updates, I went to the website, installed something, and all it had to download was service pack 3? Do I sound up to date?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply Cobertizo, it locked up again so maybe you're right it could be a RAM issue. Am I best running memtest from a floppy?

Would pulling the CMOS battery for a minute do anything you think?

Associate
OP
Oh no doubt about it the drive is dying a death, keeps trying to check the health of the ntfs and failing!

If I get my new drive, stick XP on it then pull the old drive just to get files off, I can still stick it back to the boot drive in safe mode in case I've missed something that I can't get hold of right?

Back
Top Bottom