Bent motherboard a problem??

Soldato
Recently bought an ASUS RAMPAGE formula, and the motherboard was bent slightly at where the IO ports ports are positioned, just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced such a thing?

Installed the motherboard and everything seems fine, so would it even be worth an rma?

thanks

Associate
I've only ever found it a problem with graphics card when a heatsink is tensioned too much and it puts a curve in the board, the card's worked fine but occasionally it gives off a high pitched squeel. listen carefully to it to see if you get the same problem it'd be interesting if you did.

Soldato
OP
It could be a badly tensioned PWM cooler, if it has one. If so, is the cooler definitely making good contact with the PWM MOSFETS.

Hi

I think this is exactly the problem, as the motherboard is bent out of the box, even after installing Intel heat sink the degree of bending was still the same as before. It seems to come from the heat sink just behind the IO shield, but when i turned the motherboard and looked behind there was no mounting holes. Or it could be that the board was bent before components were put into it.

Some CPU cooler backplates do this, it doesn't cause any problems. Motherboards today are very durable anyway.

just wondering out of curiosity, would i still be able to ask for an RMA for the above reason?

I've only ever found it a problem with graphics card when a heatsink is tensioned too much and it puts a curve in the board, the card's worked fine but occasionally it gives off a high pitched squeel. listen carefully to it to see if you get the same problem it'd be interesting if you did.

My motherboard was bent straight from the box, and even after installing the heat sink it was still the same degree of bend in it. But i had a listen for any whistling sound but nothing. Just wondering are you sure that the sound is not because of a gfx card problem? have you tried another gfx card to see if you have the same sound still?

I used to have a horrible high pitched noise too from my motherboard, it was very difficult to identify the problem as i though it was the fans at first, then the gfx card, and when i finally changed mobo everything was fine. It was driving me crazy.

lol, i somehow doubt they envisaged such extreme issues when designing the boards.

Associate
just wondering out of curiosity, would i still be able to ask for an RMA for the above reason?

You could, but if the board works fine then i wouldn't bother. Since you got it like that, it's probably just the chipset heatsink that's bending it and it's just on very tight. Make sure the heatsink is in contact tho and check the temps.

Soldato
OP
You could, but if the board works fine then i wouldn't bother. Since you got it like that, it's probably just the chipset heatsink that's bending it and it's just on very tight. Make sure the heatsink is in contact tho and check the temps.

Any specific program you would recommend? any specific temperature range am i looking for?

actually even looked in bios and cant seem to find temp reading for the cup or chipset.

i tried the asus AI and speed fan, but they are giving confusing temperature readings, getting negative figures and reading for devices i cant identify.

I think Intel spec allows 1.5mm of PCB bend. (Well it certainly used to)

I think i am close to 5-7mm, as a rough guess.

Associate
I use everest to monitor the temps and i would recommend using that, but it isn't free. You can use the trail tho, but your limited to what you can monitor.

In the BIOS go to "power" then "hardware monitor" and view your temps there. For the NB anything in the 40's is good for idle and the same goes for the SB.

If the bend really worrys you then theres no harm in changing the board. It really depends on how bad the bend is, a slight bend wont do any harm.

Soldato
OP
I use everest to monitor the temps and i would recommend using that, but it isn't free. You can use the trail tho, but your limited to what you can monitor.

In the BIOS go to "power" then "hardware monitor" and view your temps there. For the NB anything in the 40's is good for idle and the same goes for the SB.

If the bend really worrys you then theres no harm in changing the board. It really depends on how bad the bend is, a slight bend wont do any harm.

Thank for that, checked the BIOS(i am blind really:o) and i get

CPU 42
NB 46-48
SB 47-48.5

and a few others, they kinda look like to be in the higher end of the 40's

Will try that program and see what its like..

thanks for the help, much appreciated:)

Associate
Thank for that, checked the BIOS(i am blind really:o) and i get

CPU 42
NB 46-48
SB 47-48.5

and a few others, they kinda look like to be in the higher end of the 40's

Will try that program and see what its like..

thanks for the help, much appreciated:)

The NB and SB temps look ok, so i don't think theres a contact problem. I have the Asus Maximus Formula which is similar to your board except it's the x38 and my NB idles at 45 and SB at 40, but i have a few fans blowing on them. Intel say their ok up to 90, so i guess it's the same for the x48.

It could be the MOSFET part of the heatsink is causing the bend since you said the bend is at the I/O ports. Check and see if this part is being contacted right, if it is then theres nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom