**SPOILERS** WANTED - Out Today !!!

Soldato
OP
Rants about the matrix, lord of the rings, tron, cypher, switchblade romance, versus, x-men, anchoman and the bear scene.

It is unrealistic, but it doesn't try to depict physics to a Masters degree standard, and is a fun film.

I for one can't wait to get it on blu-ray :D

Caporegime
I know it was meant to be a bit far fetched but at times it was stupid!! How could they get something like the yellow cross wrong? Most of the film they are teaching him how to shoot round an object, yet AJ shoots one a full 360 degrees? Her bullet was very good at not slowing down after going through several heads!!! Rant over. Seems to me (like Charlize Theron did with the god awful Aeon Flux) another up and coming Hollywood actor has got an action film under their belt before moving on

Like Mr and Mrs Smith you mean?
Or the two Tomb Raider movies?
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow?

Associate
I find it weird how people have issues suspending belief past a certain limit.

"In this film you can bend bullets and shoot people from 5 miles away by looking through a telescope."

"Yeah ok, fair enough."

"..and there's this bit where a bullet curves a whole 360."

"That's ridiculous, I'm not watching that!"

Man of Honour
I find it weird how people have issues suspending belief past a certain limit.

"In this film you can bend bullets and shoot people from 5 miles away by looking through a telescope."

"Yeah ok, fair enough."

"..and there's this bit where a bullet curves a whole 360."

"That's ridiculous, I'm not watching that!"

I think the problem is that people can accept some distortion of reality but it varies with what the film sets out as its limits on reality i.e. bending a bullet is shown to be a bit of a tricky task (ok impossible in reality but let's not split hairs), if you then make it so that someone can suddenly make a bullet do a complete 360 (and have time enough to compose themselves and smile before buying the farm) then it seems to defy the physical realities the film has set out.

It doesn't make a lot of sense but I think it does come down to how the film sets itself up what people are prepared to buy into.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
SPOILER!!!!!!!!

According to the Metro newspaper this morning, they want to do two more films after this one with James McAvoy and Angelina Jolie - dunno how?! :/

BB x

Caporegime
I think the problem is that people can accept some distortion of reality but it varies with what the film sets out as its limits on reality i.e. bending a bullet is shown to be a bit of a tricky task (ok impossible in reality but let's not split hairs), if you then make it so that someone can suddenly make a bullet do a complete 360 (and have time enough to compose themselves and smile before buying the farm) then it seems to defy the physical realities the film has set out.

It doesn't make a lot of sense but I think it does come down to how the film sets itself up what people are prepared to buy into.
It's still a comic book. That's what they do.

Man of Honour
It's still a comic book. That's what they do.

Oddly enough I'm not one of the people objecting to this film as being unrealistic, however I can understand why people would, mainly because I've felt the same myself about other films. If a film/book/story gives you its own version of reality with set limits then you can usually buy into that, when it suddenly ups and breaks those limits then it breaks the illusion as well.

Caporegime
Totally agree with you semi-pro - with any story when it defines parameters for something and then exceeds it itself without explanation it totally destroys the illusion and for some makes it very hard to continue to enjoy the story...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
I just went into it from the point of view that there were no limits.

That being said, I can see why people would think it had broken rules already set within the film.

Associate
Just watched it last night, and I have to say I was rather disappointed. I set out to see a mindless action film, which ends up trying to be up its own arse a bit.

The action scenes weren't anything special at all, the train sequence was "alright" and the highlight had to be the gun scooping part before the end - that was genuinely quite well done.

The characters were mostly flat with implied depth that didn't come across at all. It felt like after they made the film, they realised there were no character developments at all so they stitched a few more scenes in it to make it up it, and failed because it broke the pacing quite badly at parts.

The only thing I thought they did well on was the twist with the dad - it was a subtle and progressive build up with the "defensive bullet kissing shots" to establish the reactive nature of his actions.

The name twist though was pretty in your face as soon as you learn about the concept - you just know that it's something to be explioted and inevitably it was.

All in all, it's nothing special, not the worst action flick either, but the angst and the excessive slow motion (with the awful kiss!) means it's no more than a 5/10 for me.

Soldato
Just watched it last night, and I have to say I was rather disappointed. I set out to see a mindless action film, which ends up trying to be up its own arse a bit.

The action scenes weren't anything special at all, the train sequence was "alright" and the highlight had to be the gun scooping part before the end - that was genuinely quite well done.

The characters were mostly flat with implied depth that didn't come across at all. It felt like after they made the film, they realised there were no character developments at all so they stitched a few more scenes in it to make it up it, and failed because it broke the pacing quite badly at parts.

The only thing I thought they did well on was the twist with the dad - it was a subtle and progressive build up with the "defensive bullet kissing shots" to establish the reactive nature of his actions.

The name twist though was pretty in your face as soon as you learn about the concept - you just know that it's something to be explioted and inevitably it was.

All in all, it's nothing special, not the worst action flick either, but the angst and the excessive slow motion (with the awful kiss!) means it's no more than a 5/10 for me.

My feelings exactly. Poop storyline, poop acting and poop action.

Soldato
Was an awesome film :D

Some people here expect too much from films, how are you supposed to enjoy things when you try so hard not to? BORING PEOPLE YOU ARE.

As for the bullet curving 360, it was difficult for Wesley to learn, but not difficult to get good at, all of the main characters showed that they were excellent at it, for example the very first curve is around an extremely tight corner. So Wesley starts off only being able to do a gentle curve. We already saw other characters pull off curves far tighter than the 360 library one.
And as for her having time to compose herselves... they can move and perceive fast enough to see individual wingbeats on flies...
You're all grumpy boring gits if you ask me :D

Soldato
Watched it tonight.

I was a bit dubious about going as it looked like a stupid unrealistic over-the-top action film, and it was exactly as I expected it to be.

The odd thing was I really enjoyed it. Cracking action scenes, the story wasn't as stupid as it sounded and once again, cracking action scenes.

Well worth watching, even if it was a bit corny in places.

Soldato
Saw this Friday and absolutely loved every single second off it!

They just dont make films like this these days, just stupidly over the top mindless violence :D

The story held up as well as I definitely did not see the twist near the end happening although when they were on the train I did think to myself that surely the film wasn't near it's end...

Honestly cannot wait till this comes out on BlueRay, it's gonna be awesome in HD :p

Back
Top Bottom