Question about current/saving accounts

Permabanned
I currently have a student account with Natwest which I think is a normal current account. I have few thousand pounds in there which is just sitting there and is not going to get spent anytime soon.

Would it be a good idea to open some kind of savings account and transfer the money over? - is this going to pay a significantly higher interest rate than the student account? ( I already have an ISA open)

Associate
Very good idea, you hardly earn any interent on current accounts, if any. With inflation increasing it's only sensible to put it into a savings account otherwise your money will lose value.
As for what type of saving account to go for, choose one which offers some flexibility whilst earning as much interest as possible since you are a student.

Permabanned
OP
I'm looking at the Natwest e-saving account which pays 4.3%. I start a job soon so would it be a good idea to open an e-saving account and then get my salary paid into this account?

This is an online account so what drawbacks does that hold?

Caporegime
Kaupthing Edge does 6.5% online, and Birmingham Midshires does 7.11% fixed. You can't get your wages paid into a savings account, they need to be moved from a current account to it.

Icesave have the best ISA that accepts transfers in at 6.1%, Alliance and Leicester are the best UK bank at 6%.

Alliance and Leciester also do a monthly savings account at 12% gross.

Last edited:
Soldato
If I were you I'd apply for a nice big interest free overdraft for your current account and then open an online savings account like the Kaupthing Edge one (6.5% but you have to pay tax if your income is over £5300 odd in the year) then stick as much money as you can in that and have your current account as far in the negative as possible.

My free overdraft limit is -2750, so I usually keep my current account balance around -2250 and stick anything else in the savings.

I also do most of my spending on credit cards and then move the money into the savings account until the bill needs paid.

Permabanned
OP
Are there any drawbacks with these "online" accounts such as the natwest one? What makes them different from normal bank accounts (such that they pay far higher interest rates)

Soldato
Are there any drawbacks with these "online" accounts such as the natwest one? What makes them different from normal bank accounts (such that they pay far higher interest rates)

You can't make payments/set up Direct Debits/standing orders etc.

You're limited to withdrawing, depositing and transfering your money to your other accounts.

Back
Top Bottom