The Qur'an - Tonight C4 8pm

Associate
Too many Westerners criticise Islam while lacking a basic knowledge of it; this long (two hours) but rewarding primer is full of revelations. It reports what the Qur'an actually says about killing to defend the faith, and about women, and explains how Sharia operates, the differences between Sunni and Shia, and the recent influence of Saudi Wahhabism. It also reminds us that the Qur'an sanctifies Mary and Jesus, and that its emphasis on intellectual enquiry put medieval Muslim scholars ahead of ours. (Not to mention architects, who are lauded daily (7.50pm C4) as part of The Seven Wonders of the Muslim World.) Sticking to analysing the text would have made the film shorter, and perhaps better: the sections on "Islamic" terrorists skate over complex conflicts, giving succour to extremists on both sides. But the discovery that the violent and the virtuous can find support in the Qur'an is central to a portrait of a religion that, like so many others, is built on an arcane, equivocal text. RT reviewer - Jack Seale

Channel 4 : (120 mins)

I think i might tune into this, i have been thinking of picking up a copy to have a read, i really dont know why but as I live in Ireland, we've had our own troubles for a purpose but i dont see a purpose of a holy war. this may shed some light

thoughts?

Caporegime
might watch it on 4od if it doesn't turn out to be some Muslim ball licking affair, and is actually objective, and not worried about insulting people/getting threatened.

Associate
OP
might watch it on 4od if it doesn't turn out to be some Muslim ball licking affair, and is actually objective, and not worried about insulting people/getting threatened.

am sure there will be some of that but i hope they remain some way in the middle

Man of Honour
Its channel 4. Alarm bells should be ringing already.

sadly i very much doubt it, and i think they will try and make Islam look good as gold for fear of complaints.
It will go one way or the other to stir. Channel 4 is pretty much takes the worst elements of the Daily Mail (leaving the best) when it comes to being sensational.

Man of Honour
Translation: Channel 4 airs programmes I disagree with.
No, more like Channel four tries to disguise trash TV as intelligent veiwing.

Lets not forget when they put 'ordinary representive people of Britain' (in reality, a man who frequents a strip club, an outrageously camp man, and other assorted horrible chav-esque people) in a house to obey the rules of Islam for a week.

It was embarrising, the guests didn't even try and were incredibly rude, yet Islam was still made to be the culprit.

Permabanned
I listened to the guy who produced the show on 5live on friday, he certainly seemed a well balanced person, in terms of his views, but to most peoples disapointment, he wont be a Pat Boon'esque nut job.

The producer has spent much of life in the ME, so knows a thing or two, he seemed fairly critical of the Saudi regime, so i have high-ish hopes for the show.

Soldato
I have lightly perused the Quran and my mother's boyfriend is a Muslim, so I like to think I know a bit about the subject. I think I will watch this and see if its findings are similar to my own.

Permabanned
It's obviously going to be biased! After all, it's not as if they can openly criticise that particular book on national TV and not expect 'trouble'!

Back
Top Bottom