Spy chips in our cars?

Soldato
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3178579.stm

We keep seeing these stories coming up, and everytimewe say "no, that'd never really happen!" Maybe we should be taking this a little more seriously, the above link is in reference to a feasability study written by the Association of Chief Police Officers and involves having a personalised chip fitted to all cars (added at MoT time if not already in the car) so they can monitor and catch you for all kinds of things, apparently 47 possible offences have been considered for this scheme, including speeding, driving without insurance/road tax.

Obviously the much hyped benefit is that stolen cars would be easily located :rolleyes: of course every criminal is honest enough not to disable this chip as soon as they steal the car.

When will the people of this country realise that the government is mean to be working for them? They need to be reminded that they can be easily disposed of. If only this was more like America, we've given away our chances of revolting against our government for the sake of "the children". How much longer will the British populace sit back and let this oppressive government chip away at their rights?

"Oh, its only going to catch criminals, i've got nothing to fear", "Oh, the cameras in peoples houses are only going to catch criminals...." They are both steps on the same slippery slope.

Man of Honour
Can anyone envisage driving being enjoyable when you constantly have to watch your speedometer becuase of a chip in your car that automatically fines you?

When I drive, I drive how I feel safe, and I really enjoy myself. As a consequence, I don't often exceed the speed limit, but I'm not watching my speedo either, I'm watching the road.

With the chip, that would be to much of a risk, and I'd constantly be checking down to ensure I wasn't going over whatever random number some bloke in a suit had decided to stick on a sign on the road I was on.

Soldato
Speed monitoring costs lives. even on my driving test(which i did pass first time) I had to pull into opposing traffic and put me foot down, hence breaking the 30 limit by over 20mph just because the bus I was about to pass pulled out in front of me without leaving me room to brake. I thought I'd flunked but the instructor commented that I did the only sensible thing and that he felt safe with me doing it. Now if I was worrying about getting fine I would have ploughed into the oncoming traffic coz i didn't cleart the damn bus in time :(

I can think of hundreds of other times when speeding is appropriate as a hazard avoidance mechanism and how any chip will ever judge that I do not know.

Please bear in mind chips like this have been considered for donkeys years but it doesn't mean they will get implemented. It is the governments job to fund research that could save lifes/make life safer but it's also there responsibility to implement sensible legislation.

Recent talk has alos focussed on inbuilt gps units using the new EU Orion(GPS competitor sat network) that can locate and call emergency service if your airbag deploys. excellent idea in my opinion.

Man of Honour
It will completely remove overtaking.

A vehicle in front is doing 45mph on an NSL road. If you overtake while not going above 60mph, you would be a danger to other road users.

You floor it, pull out, and then safely pull in at whatever speed it takes. If you dawdle or go slowly, you risk an accident.

Soldato
tbh, I've completely stopped worrying about measures like this. It could never happen - there would be too much pressure from a vast majority of the population.

Motoring would cease to be a hobby - which it is for some people, and a passionate one. How they could possibly police something like this is beyond me. They couldn't possibly retro fit it to all the classic cars on the road - the E type Jags, and your older proper 1920s tourers - bentleys and the like - it wouldn't work. Also consider kitcars - the manufacturers would go out of business, nobody would buy them anymore...also fitting to motorbikes - vintage bikes, trials bikes...vehicles used on track as well as on the road...Road rallying would collapse completely...Great Britain would probably lose the RAC world rally event, as the competing cars have to be road legal in the country they're participating in...

The list is endless imo.

Man of Honour
Don't expect the Tories to rescue you from this idea either - whatever they might say now, ANY party in power would be in favour.

But I reckon it would take about a week for the internet to be full of guides on how to find and disable the chip without it looking obvious ("sorry officer, it must have been that rock I drove over").

M

Soldato
yeah

i think its waaaay too big a task

we fitted 15 trackers to some of our van fleet and its had nothing but problems...

tinfoil over the antenna works best

Soldato
Originally posted by izoneiz

IZoneIZ

Ain't it just. If anyone thinks they're going to chip my car, they've got another thing coming. No dout we'd have to pay for the priveledge too. 36 million motorists (or however many it is these days) are not a bunch to wind up lightly...

Associate
as i said, the day they force the presence of monitoring units in our cars, and ones that charge us by the mile on top of all the other stuff we pay for to be able to drive, is the day i emigrate.

there is a limit to all this insanity.

the yanks get off way too easily. same goes for european countries to an extent,

IZoneIZ

Soldato
things could get complicated...

if they use gps... nothing is stopping people building gps jammers....

for about £50 you can block GPS signals for a 500miles radius

Associate
hehe tinfoil worked on our works vans

management got so fed up calling out securitas to fix them cos they thought they were broke, eventually ripped them all back out again,, hehe

Soldato
hehe tinfoil owns

my first attempt was to stick a hardhat to the roof .... but it wasnt "sticky" enough and flew off round a corner...

ahh the days

Last edited:

v0n

v0n

Soldato
This is happening because we allow it to. Motoring has become an answer to all financial troubles. It's time people, we are abandoned, and the elected class is working now against us. Start your revolution now, contact your local representatives, demand answers and actions. If we can force council body to work for the cause and press will help this can work. There must a way to start legal class actions.

Back
Top Bottom