How fast is 'safe' to overclock an E6600 on the standard intel fan?

Caporegime
Running my e6600 under an AC7 load usually about 50's, stock volts @ 3150
nice clock, couldnt get mine to run much higher than 3.0ghz on stock voltage Eventually ended up running it at 3.6ghz 1.525 vcore in bios (1.488 iirc in windows) for 6 months, 14 hours orthos stable. Temps never went above 60'c at load. Sold it a few months ago when i bought the q6600. was a great cpu, wouldnt mind picking one up again for a second rig when i get my 680i mobo back from rma.

Soldato
I wouldn't worry about the temps so much as the noise from the stock cooler going at full pelt :p.

Anything up to 70 degrees should be fine. The problem is if you get dust build up and the temps increase without you realising then you want to have plenty of breathing room before hitting 80-85 degrees.

Whilst we're at it what temperature are you reading? The core temp or tcase one?

edit:

The temps are at 63 and 63 degrees now. I should get that cooler soon.

You don't want to be worrying about the individual core temps, just the tcase temp as that's what intels death temperature is measured against. You'll probably find your tcase temp is around the 45 degrees mark in which case you've got around another 40 degrees to be playing with.

Only bother upgrading the stock cooler if the noise is annoying you.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I wouldn't worry about the temps so much as the noise from the stock cooler going at full pelt :p.

Anything up to 70 degrees should be fine. The problem is if you get dust build up and the temps increase without you realising then you want to have plenty of breathing room before hitting 80-85 degrees.

Whilst we're at it what temperature are you reading? The core temp or tcase one?

edit:

You don't want to be worrying about the individual core temps, just the tcase temp as that's what intels death temperature is measured against. You'll probably find your tcase temp is around the 45 degrees mark in which case you've got around another 40 degrees to be playing with.

Only bother upgrading the stock cooler if the noise is annoying you.

How do I find this tcase temp?

Man of Honour
Yup slap an ACF7 pro on there with some arctic silver 5, and clock the **** out of it... and if you take the time to lap the HSF and CPU IHS properly you can get some impressive cooling from the ACF7 pro (in my experiences the E6600 have had a concave surface and the ACF7 finish was far from ideal).

Back
Top Bottom