£1500 to get a new clutch

Izi

Izi

Soldato
My clutch has gone on my Mini Cooper. I rang BMW and they said they wanted £1500 to get a new clutch fitted. I actually burst out laughing down the phone.

I have a friendly mechanic who has done all my families cars for years who charged me £300, and he fitted a new gearbox whilst he was there as the old one was shot.

I can't beleive that people would actually pay £1500 but with the confidence they presented that price to me, people must.

Joke.

Izi

Izi

Soldato
OP
no sorry, it was 300 for clutch and fitting, the gear box was an extra 500 quid... i had to source that separatly.

Soldato
How old is the car?

If you get it done outside of a BMW dealership, i'm not sure but it *may* invalidate your warranty if it has one? I know thats the case with Honda..

£1500 is steep though!

Soldato
Problem is - do you have any kind of comeback on the parts or the labour from doing it through your mate? I suspect not.

I don't know the particulars of BMW servicing but I would imagine that a replacement clutch and/or gearbox would be covered (perhaps not for clutch wear) for several months, maybe even a year or more.

Whilst I don't doubt BMW are at the upper end of the cost-per-hour labour sometimes it is worth paying a little extra for peace of mind.

Soldato
Problem is - do you have any kind of comeback on the parts or the labour from doing it through your mate? I suspect not.

I don't know the particulars of BMW servicing but I would imagine that a replacement clutch and/or gearbox would be covered (perhaps not for clutch wear) for several months, maybe even a year or more.

Whilst I don't doubt BMW are at the upper end of the cost-per-hour labour sometimes it is worth paying a little extra for peace of mind.

A little extra in my mind does not equal paying five times over the odds! £1500 vs. £300 is a huge increase!

Soldato
One of the BMW minis ? Cant be that old then.

I bought my car brand new in 93 and have put 130K miles on the ODO and its STILL on the original clutch... And exhaust... and....

But as to £1500..
Bwahahahahahaha

They're having a giraffe

Back
Top Bottom