So test drove a few S2000s and..

Soldato
That's the thing, it's fine when you're "making progress" - but day to day it wears thin after a while.
I recently had a new Mini Cooper S for a week or so, and whilst I didn't really gel with it overall, the power band is much more usable day to day.

My car literally has no torque. I think it made something like 150nm on the last RR, but I can honestly say it's fine around town, to and from work etc.

Soldato
My car literally has no torque. I think it made something like 150nm on the last RR, but I can honestly say it's fine around town, to and from work etc.

indeed, mine has even less than that, peaking at 4k rpm. I can honestly say that bimbling around town where I barely see above 2500rpm I have never wanted for more torque, it is fine.

Caporegime
euphemism for "talking out my arse?" Even if you do a slight amount of reading the s2000's chasis is regarded as being pretty capable, if not a bit twitchy on the earlier models. On that note the later rev's did they include a lsd or diff?

All S2000s have a LSD diff in the form of a Torsen.

I have no idea how people can say they are awful everyday cars. A 1.1 punto is an awful everyday car.

Lack of torque low down is also pretty silly, it's not a 3.0 engine

Soldato
OP
Cerbera ;) :p

unbeatable £:bhp

Was waiting for someone to say that :p

Like i said i was quite surprised at how little power there was down low compared to in Vtec, compared to my 2l turbo that is, which is an unfair really i suppose considering the way the engines work.

Other than the low down power, i really really loved it, dont think it would be that bad as a daily driver at all, bit of a pain to get in and out but i guess you need to just practice the shimmy involved with each :p I did look at elise/vx220 but they dont really have enough comfort for me, although i would most likely take either if a good deal came along(vx220 turbo especially). Im in no rush to buy at the moment so i can find the perfect car for my money, Is it gay to want a yellow S2000 though? :p http://www.compucars.co.uk/carpics/Lg578045-02.jpg looks amazing!

Last edited:
Soldato
Was waiting for someone to say that :p

Like i said i was quite surprised at how little power there was down low compared to in Vtec, compared to my 2l turbo that is, which is an unfair really i suppose considering the way the engines work.

Other than the low down power, i really really loved it, dont think it would be that bad as a daily driver at all, bit of a pain to get in and out but i guess you need to just practice the shimmy involved with each :p I did look at elise/vx220 but they dont really have enough comfort for me, although i would most likely take either if a good deal came along(vx220 turbo especially). Im in no rush to buy at the moment so i can find the perfect car for my money, Is it gay to want a yellow S2000 though? :p http://www.compucars.co.uk/carpics/Lg578045-02.jpg looks amazing!

My mate had an s2000 and had new cams in it and a custom ecu with a far lower (might even have been adjustable) vtec point, along with his straight through exhaust (loud is not the word for that) it was far better down low but
fuel economy suffered somewhat.

He also had cross braces on the chassis and strut braces with KW v3 coil overs which made it handle fantastically (if a little brutal on the road but he tracked it loads). He did moan that it didn't give much warning of the rear letting go. He got rid of that for a Cerbera coincidently enough.

Soldato
How tuneable are these? Ie standalone ECU etc?

I also thought it was very gutless low down but low down isn't the point in this car..

I'm pretty much set on it being my next car after uni, which models came with the hardtop? Can you get these separately, as the soft-top while cool I felt the noise was pretty annoying at high speeds.

Caporegime
I would. It's very frustrating to drive unless you want to give it the beans.
Absolute rubbish.
There is no way it is fustrating to drive - My clutch has gone on mine, for the last 2 weeks I havent been able to rev it or use anywhere near full throttle. Not once was I fustrated.

Round town they are fine and out on the open road who cares about low down power.

They are not completely gutless low down, its just that the top end is so good. Much prefer this sort of power delivery to the surge of torque like most turbo'd petrol engine, good example was my mates Focus ST yesterday. Dreamscienced to 275hp, all the torque came in one rush and then died off, I would find this more fustrating when going for it.

Let's be honest - you don't get cars like this and worry about how it drives around town anyway

Soldato
OP
Rear wheel steer is the big killer when your pushing on and lift off midcorner.

Do you find that happens a lot during normal driving, or just when pushing it?

*edit when i say normal driving i mean within the speedlimits and a normal cars rpm and not being silly on roundabouts :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
How tuneable are these? Ie standalone ECU etc?

I also thought it was very gutless low down but low down isn't the point in this car..

I'm pretty much set on it being my next car after uni, which models came with the hardtop? Can you get these separately, as the soft-top while cool I felt the noise was pretty annoying at high speeds.

As tunable as any 2.0litre that has already been highly tuned.

It has the highest BHP/litre of any road car. You can't just stick on an ECU and make more power.

You can get hardtops seperately, your better off getting a GT version which comes with a Hardtop anyway. They don't make a massive different to noise from what I have read, most people never bother with them either as they are a 2 man job to fit and remove.

Caporegime
Do you find that happens a lot during normal driving, or just when pushing it?

Rear wheel steering always happens. They just get crashed a lot due to people being on the limit mid corner and lifting off, not only do you get the weight transfer like every car but you also get the steering effect than tightens the line and tends to flick the back end out on slippy roads.

As long as you understand what is going on and be smooth you won't run into any trouble. Once you learn its traits you can take advantage of it too.

Nothing like a 4 wheel drift at 80mph with the steering rack sitting on it's stop trying to keep it on the black stuff at Donington.

Personally I think they are awesome, best car I have ever driven

Man of Honour
Absolute rubbish.
No it isn't. I looked into buying an S2000 and really wanted to like it but when it wasn't at the top of the rev range it was an absolute pain in the ass.

There is no way it is fustrating to drive - My clutch has gone on mine, for the last 2 weeks I havent been able to rev it or use anywhere near full throttle. Not once was I fustrated.
Good for you. Everybody is different.

Round town they are fine and out on the open road who cares about low down power.
Round town they are fine. Yes, just fine. Not very good but just about okay. When you compare them to the competition though they are relatively rubbish. I agree with you about out on the open road.

They are not completely gutless low down, its just that the top end is so good. Much prefer this sort of power delivery to the surge of torque like most turbo'd petrol engine, good example was my mates Focus ST yesterday. Dreamscienced to 275hp, all the torque came in one rush and then died off, I would find this more fustrating when going for it.
I agree. NA power delivery is superior to that of a forced induction engine. The VTEC engine is just a bit too racy for day to day commuting.

Let's be honest - you don't get cars like this and worry about how it drives around town anyway
You do worry if it is an everyday car. As a weekend or a trackday car there isn't much to compare to the S2000. It is perfect for thrashing around and getting the adrenaline flowing. As an everyday commuter and 'around town' car it really does suck when compared to the competition.

It's all down to whatever floats your boat. They have a certain charm about them and if that tickles your fancy then I suppose you could forgive it's downfalls. If it doesn't tickle your fancy then the S2000 isn't a very good car at all. It's all a bit chalk and cheese.

Caporegime
Wierd I drive mine everyday and never really find it lacking, I guess my dad may find it a problem if he starts driving it like a diesel changing gear at 2k rpm.

One thing that is worth noting is that they like being revved and the driver needs to get used to it to. You can't sit at 2k expecting it to go nor can you change at 6k and expect it to be fast.

Like a lot of guys say on the S2000 forums though, you either 'click' with an S2000 or you just hate the engine. They do need time to get used to them.

As I have said before, they make more torque off VTEC than a 2.0 mondeo does peak, plus the fact the shorter gearing helps with wheel torque I dont understand how people in Mondeo's manage to drive them around town :p

Man of Honour
I once tried to test drive an S2000 but the dealer's forecourt had this slope on it and the S2000 couldnt go up it cos it had no torque lol

Soldato
[TW]Fox;12131008 said:
I once tried to test drive an S2000 but the dealer's forecourt had this slope on it and the S2000 couldnt go up it cos it had no torque lol

Yea, I had to overtake a load of them that were slowing down on a hill. Gearchange? What?

<wafts along on wave of torque>

:p

Back
Top Bottom