Oh my God, my first FWD.

Soldato
Well, it had to happen at some point. I own a FWD car......I'd planned on my first being an Integra but that's on the back burner for a bit as I didn't find one I liked, at the time.

Anyway, this little fella popped onto my radar not some time ago. I'd always fancied one but only on a "if it's cheap enough to drive into the floor" kind of basis.However, this was in considerably better condition than I could have imagined and as I was looking as something just to scoot around in for the meantime I didn't object to spending a little more.

The reasoning behind this is that the Corvette is up for sale soon as I'm hoping to save for a C5 (or similar) and also want to get a project on the side in the near future, something I can work on and do to my own spec. Plus I think I've 'done' the C4 thing now, after three!

Anyway, back on track - The catch? It was in Cornwall......Redruth, to be precise. I've gotten bored at looking things and not being impressed, or outbid, so I thought I'd just muscle down and get on with it.

Bid placed, auction won, money withdrawn and collection arranged, I dragged myself out of bed and headed out.

Now - must just excuse the poor quality of the phone pictures - I'd set it to low quality mode instead of the full-blown 2 megapixel standard so they're a bit poor. Get the idea across, mind.

First stop. Milton Keynes, onto Euston. Then I walked down the road to Euston Square ....

SP_A0458-1200.jpg

and weaved across to Paddington...

SP_A0463-1200.jpg

Where I had a yummy breakfast ...

SP_A0465.jpg

.......and made the connection with the 5 hour train to Redruth. Fun.

SP_A0468.jpg

Me, thrilled with the prospect.

Fortunately, I had some reading material:

SP_A0477-1200.jpg

SP_A0478-1200.jpg

SP_A0467-1200.jpg

After I'd dozed a few times, listened to endless albums and chatted to a nice lass in the adjacent aisle, the destination approached...

SP_A0483-1200.jpg

SP_A0489.jpg

Still bored....

I arrived, collected the car (from the very courtesous and friendly owner, great storage and fleet) and without a moments hesitation, started cruising back. It was 6 o'clock by the time I left and I had a good 5-6 hour drive ahead.

I did the first 120 miles in one hit, stopped for a break, checked everything over and then pointed the car in the vague direction of the remaining 220 miles.

Yup, I took a complete unknown on a 'small' 340 mile road trip! Even better? It did it on less than one tank of fuel, with no issues or problems at all.

Somewhere on the road......

SP_A0495.jpg

Anyway, what is it?

Soldato
OP
Yea, it's a long posting session this one :D

Anyway, she's a 1972 Triumph 1500, the first of the 'Dolomite' shape but not badged as such.

It has a whopping 65BHP single carb 1500 mill driving a four speed manual box, through a rather dangerous looking pair of 'rotoflex' doughnuts!

Engine bay needs a thorough clean but all there and in fine fettle:
IMG_7458-1200.jpg

IMG_7451-1200.jpg

IMG_7480-1200.jpg

IMG_7486-1200.jpg

Cool :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It's just had fresh paint and steel, so bodywork wise it's in excellent shape. It's only done 47~k and I'm the third owner - so a very low mileage car. Also tax exempt!

Things I need to do are revarnish the wood cappings, replacing some rubber, change the carpets and the steering wheel for a nice mountney - and give it a bit of a tune, little rich and the tappets are a bit wide - but other than that, it's a brilliant car to hoon about in - like a go cart crossed with a mini, it's very light, eager and quite torquey despite being 4.2 litres down on my other car!

Some other random shots.

Service history:

IMG_7440-1200.jpg

So clean:

IMG_7493-1200.jpg

IMG_7492-1200.jpg

Needs new carpets, wheel and door cappings - easily done though:

IMG_7494-1200.jpg

IMG_7496-1200.jpg

Marks in this shot are from where the seatbelt buckle rests, just impressions not permanent. Yes, no inertial reels here! Tighten them up yourself or DIE!
IMG_7495-1200.jpg

Never been used:
IMG_7498-1200.jpg

IMG_7501-1200.jpg

IMG_7519-1200.jpg

And resting...
IMG_7532-1200.jpg

It's hillarious! It's like being in an episode of Heartbeat!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Anyway, the car does look rather nice! Are the doughnut things just solid lumps of rubber like they look to me to be?

Yea, they work as the CV joints, allowing the two shafts to move up and down and flex a little from eachother. A weakpoint but the uprated Lotus ones are much better. These are fine though.

Will post a little more on what it's like in a minute, just collecting my thoughts at the moment! - apart from the "What the hell am I doing with this" one :D (besides having a laugh) :p

Back
Top Bottom