Is low fuel-economy a status symbol?

Associate
I can't believe izoneiz posted this thread.....

I find the opposite is becoming increasingly true. Pretentious folk seem to get a kick out of preaching about how little fuel their car uses and how they are single handedly saving mother earth from the CO2 demons who mow down children and baby deer in their non-Prius'.

Spot on Scuzi. However, they are the lucky ones. They can manage to dawdle along at 10 miles below the speed limit everywhere they go and be happy with themselves/life/not looking in the rear view mirror at the queues they are causing lol.

Woofters at work roll their eyes at me when they moan about their fuel economy managing to dip below 35mpg on bog standard supermarket fuel then I tell them they could be in my shoes. If I could have a car as bullet-quick as mine which sipped petrol and helped reduce the rate of damage to the planet I would jump at it but having a lead foot, the power of Thor at your command and being a petrol head means that your economy will always be awful.

Soldato
You're dead right now I come to think of it.
I know someone who just replaced their 745i with a GS450h. He's now utterly irritating and bangs on about how many MPG he gets and tries to take the mick out of my GS430 with lines such as "How much did that trip cost you?".

Haha, the thing is dependant of how and where he is driving, the 450h may not be yeilding him savings. You have to drive hybrids in the right places in the right way to make the most of them.

100mph down the M40 removes the hybrid element of the vehicle

Soldato
no, there is always a trade off, two cars EXACTLY the same with different fuel economy do not exist.

Well done sherlock, want me to fetch your hat?

It has already been stated in the thread that IF there were two identical cars bar their MPG then would people buy the lower MPG one solely for the fact it does less and it shows that they have more cash to spend on fuel.

As for the OP, no I can't say that anybody in their right mind would get the lower MPG car, as it does nothing better than the higher MPG one...other than use fuel, it does that well/better. :p

InvG

Soldato
They are an entirely differentdriving experience, there is no way would I consider a 335d if a 335i was an option

yes the 335d's fuel consumption would be nice but it would come no where near to making up for the loss in driving pleasure

After driving both a 530i and 530d, I can see where you're coming from but tbh, for someone who does a lot of mile, forgetting about MPGs, cars with small tank range can be annoying.

One of the best things about the 530d was that I could fill up, do my 700 miles, then fill up again. In the 530i, do 400-450 miles, then fill up again.

Saying that, I probably would live with a 335i over a 335d :p

Soldato
This is a stupid thread. No low MPG isn't a status symbol. I highly doubt people want low MPG and to be paying more money then they have to. I'd love to get 90mpg out of my car.

You would have to be a complete moron to buy a car with less MPG with no gains.

Associate
Thats retarded, what sane person would buy a diesel over a petrol if they can afford it?
(you've got to be mad to prefer diesel :D)

Having a diesel just suggest you're a bit tight. Or you do a lot of miles.

Like Dogbreath said, some prefer the delivery. With current prices, diesel vs petrol is not all about the mpg.

Audi A8 4.2 FSI quattro Sport| 350bhp | 440/3500Nm | 0-62 (6.1) | 25.9mpg

Audi A8 4.2 TDI quattro Sport| 326bhp | 650/1600Nm | 0-62 (5.9) | 30.1mpg

mjt

mjt

Soldato
some friends came round the other day with a polo bluemotion. i was about to explain the false economy of buying such an expensive car, but if you're averaging 75mpg, you can't really complain :p
they managed 92mpg once, but they were slipstreaming lorries and never went above 68mph :rolleyes:

Soldato
10mpg here, and man am I smug :p

Seriously though I am not proud of it in the slightest it is amusing for shock purposes when people are moaning about petrol prices in their 45mpg derv euroboxes at work and you drop that in to the conversation :D

It does amaze me how people are so close to the bread line that petrol price increase is so traumatic!

Oh and being an educated well read individual I have never bought into the CO2 end of the world drama and refused to be forced into changing my car buying habits.

Man of Honour
Why is this totally crap thread still going?

'Lets pretend there were two identical cars utterely identical but one drank loads more fuel, well...'

They dont exist. Thread is thus useless.

Back
Top Bottom