Golf Clubs

Soldato
For me Mizuno make the best Golf Clubs.

But I think its all about personal choice, if a £9 drives works for you then go with it, instead of paying £220 for a named brand.

Associate
titleist, Taylor Made, Callaway, Mizuno... Don't know if there is a "pecking order," but Wilson make decent clubs, I've got some although the above tend to be better.

Man of Honour
You won't however I'd be worried by the following points:

1. You play golf on a court.
2. You play with the sort of people who look down on you for not having expensive clubs.
3. You're going to spend more than you need in order to buy clubs with "status" rather than clubs that you hit well with.

Associate
Very good point that Scuzi.
I bought Calloway big berthas, lots of money, including the drivers, not sure if I am any better than with my old cheapo clubs, mind you my new putter I am certainly better with ( Odossy 2 ball) reckon with time my game will get stronger with the new clubs though, just gotta get used to them.
Reason for buying well all my friends had nice clubs, plus going to the 19th pulling up with a cheapo set just didn't do it for me.
Lot of money but feel better for it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hahaha my mistake, thats what happens when you type and talk on the phone, haha.

In regards to number 2, I guess its just a pre-misconception of golf courses.

Thanks for the info in point 3:p

Reason I ask so much about Wilson is my work have a substantial deal in place with them, that I'm thinking of taking up as I'm interested in learning how to get around 18 holes in an acceptale manner :p

Man of Honour
Your best bet is to go to your nearest American Golf or pro shop where you can try out as many clubs as you want. Hit some balls until you find a club which feels comfortable to use and is most consistent with good shots.

Also, spending £50-100 less on clubs and putting it towards a couple of PGA pro lessons will do a hell of a lot more for your game than a fancy set of clubs. If your swing is all wrong, no clubs no matter how expensive or exclusive will make you hit the ball straight.

Soldato
OP
Your best bet is to go to your nearest American Golf or pro shop where you can try out as many clubs as you want. Hit some balls until you find a club which feels comfortable to use and is most consistent with good shots.

Also, spending £50-100 less on clubs and putting it towards a couple of PGA pro lessons will do a hell of a lot more for your game than a fancy set of clubs. If your swing is all wrong, no clubs no matter how expensive or exclusive will make you hit the ball straight.

Sure, I know and appreciate all the above just wanted to make sure I would be buying good kit too. The money for lessons is already aside.

Soldato
Agree with a lot of points in this thread. I bought some Taylor Made RAC OSII which are great beginners irons that were going cheap and some second hand woods and a duff putter. I have enough to get by and am slowly replacing clubs with better ones as I go along.

My stand bag however, is from Tesco :D and does the job perfectly well. Cost me about £15 with a mates discount and saved me about 50 quid than if I'd got a Taylor Made or equivalent bag that would make me look cool.

Concentrate on your game and not on the image. I couldn't give a stuff what people think I look like, in fact sometimes I wish my bag had tesco value stripes just to irritate the stuck up people you meet on the course.

Associate
The new Wilson clubs, ci7, di7 etc are apparently very good and get the best on test awards in a number of golfing magazines.

Half tempted to get a set given that i have started playing again, but my trusty callaway h2s2's are still great to hit even if they are fairly ancient having bought them second hand 8 years ago.

But like many have said, you just need to find a set that suits your swing by trying as many different sets as you can.

Associate
Yea Wilson clubs are usually very good for the high - mid handicapper and beginners; but there are a few models that are good for the low handicappers as well. Great advice from Scuzzi about not spending your whole budget on clubs and using the money for a few lessons.

On a note about the snobs looking good with their top end equipment; there is nothing better to watch than somebody pulling up in an expensive car, the latest equipment; warmup on the first tee and top the ball a whole 30 yards.

Caporegime
I bought mine used on fleabay. Ben Sayers, £19.

I don't agree with paying big money for a brand name but I do understand that what is considered top quality can have an effect on your confidence.

Last edited:
Associate
It's hard to tell from the OP how good you are. If you are half decent, get custom fitted for whatever you choose to buy. It will make far more difference than the brand of the clubs themselves.

Soldato
My old man just got a Wilson driver after trying out loads which the club pro had taped over all the makers marks and branding (although there is ho hiding an ft-i).

He found it added 20 yards (according to the video test) and he could hit it straighter more often. His current was a big bertha.

Go with what works.

Soldato
I have had a round of Golf in today and I was using my mates Wilson Deep Red Putter, it cost him £20 and it was better than an Odyssey one I used the week before that cost about £100. I went a brought one online as soon as I got home ;)

Back
Top Bottom