FAO: Those who know about dynos...

Man of Honour
Personally I'd ignore anyone who quotes "crank hp" or "flywheel hp", it's different for every car, and that includes the same car at any given time.

imo they should give you whp and leave it at that, then people can properly compare hp.

Fantastic example of this is my mates ex-paseo, 89hp stock. He put a cone filter and a chav can on and some douche bags with a rolling road and an equation said it suddenly produced 114hp.

Also his MR2 apparently makes nearly 200hp (same place) even though it's a virtually stock GT T-bar.

no one should really being quoting or comparing anything tbh, yeah you get a VERY rough idea of power outputs but dynos should be seen as a tuning tool for 'before and after' nothing more.

I know my bike before tuning put out 157, and after 166 at wheel... not sure on the accuracy, but don't really care as felt it and the engine was much more responsive throughout rev range which is what I really wanted.

Soldato
Not if they measure torque in Nm, or power in kW - and so on.

websheet-2.jpg

For example.

Soldato
OP
I emailed the garage in the end, who came back with the following response to the dodgy graph:

Sorry for the error Andy, The graphs don't cross because the bhp is at the
flywheel and the torque figure is at the wheels, very sorry it was my fault
I just printed the graphs out wrong. Correct flywheel graph attached

Here's the corrected graph:

X_1.gif

Soldato
Power of the vehicle as a function of torque and is used to normalise for the transmition. Power is used to compare two different vehicles with different transmitions, but if you are looking to compare improvements in your own vehicle, torque should be all that matters.

Soldato
Changing the scales on a graph wouldn't alter the point at which they cross, it'd still cross at 5250rpm (?) or whatever other point they do. The graph would just look different.

Simple maths and obviousness, really :p

Soldato
( |-| |2 ][ $;12175101 said:
What happens if you dyno a diesel that doesn't do 5252rpm?
Are you saying the graphs won't cross?

Yes they won't cross, its impossible.

Power = torque/5252 x rpm*

Here clearly an rpm of 5252 gives you a factor of 1 to apply to the torque, hence they cross as that have the same value here.

*Power in bhp, torque in lbft.

Associate
here is my dyno dynamics rolling road graph after mapping to add some fuel to your discussion

Dyno Dynamics rolling roads are very reputable

dyno.jpg

Back
Top Bottom