Spec Check: Dream System!

Associate
NOTE: I won't be needing harddisks, moniter, case, DVD drives, OPerating system etc - just the components in the opening post, so the £1500 is just for the following components

Hello Guys and Gals,

I need to upgrade my PC as the latest games/applications are not compatible with my old system anymore.

Need the following specs:

- Budget ~ £1500, but a bit more if you can convince me to spank the credit card

- At least 4GB RAM

- A top end/high end Video Card (don't mind dual ones, SLI etc), so that I won't require any upgrades for a long time,

- Motherboard - willing to spend good money for a quality board

- VERY VERY good Power supply

- Cooling system, since I am a developer and travel around a lot, and it can get pretty hot in the countries where I am consulting in, need a good cooling system that can even brave 48 Degree Centigrade temps.

- A ROCK SOLID (I can't stress this enough, I am willing to sacrifice speed over stability) system that won't reboot in my face. On my current PC (got the PC specced here by a kind soul about 4 years ago) and believe it or not, I still have not re-installed windows xp.

Need multiple recommendations for each component if possible to see if I can mix and match

Here is what I think would be ok as a starter, but need feedback on price and if I can replace components so that the price can be brought down a little bit.

Would appreciate some feedback - thanks!

------------
Power :
Cooler Master 750W Real Power Pro RS-750
OR
Corsair TX750W

Motherboard:
ASUS Striker II Formula (I'm a fan of Intel processors - sorry)

Video:
Two GeForce 8800GTX 768MB graphics cards in SLI
OR
Dual Radeon HD 3870 X2 1GB graphics cards in Crossfire

Sound:
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
OR
SoundBlaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series

Memory:
OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC 4GB Edition
OR
2x2GB Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 (TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF)

CPU:
Core 2 Duo E8500 (3.16GHz) Retail

FAN:
Zalman CNPS9500 AT
OR
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Keyboard:
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard

EDIT: Won't be overclocking my system

Last edited:
Soldato
E8500
Any of the 70-80mark P45s.
4gb GeiL BLack Dragon 8500
Tuniq Tower / TRUE
Single Radeon HD 4870
Any 20+ soundcard will do unless you're crazy about sound and have very good set of expensive speakers.

I would pass on G15 keyboard unless you're mmorpg maniac, and i mean really maniac manic that doesnt go out, has no life and plays 18hrs a day.

I've never seen any use of G15 boards apart from show off.

If you aint in hurry I would wait for the E8600 or new stepping E8500 which should be in here in a week or two I guess. Also if you want realy monster you can get the incoming 4870x2 but to be honest there is no point unless you game at 30" monitor.
Single 4850 has enough power to run anything up to date and will do for quite a bit, 4870 has even more.

There is no point throwing all money now, you will need to upgrade in 1,5yr anyways.
The times when you could buy a PC and use it well for 4yrs have gone. Now if you want to be up-to-date you gotta upgrade every year at least ;). And with the frequency of new stuff coming out there is no point spending cash on something that you not gonna use now. Better to buy lets say 4850, save cash and upgrade it in half year or a year when you will need more power.

Soldato
I would DEFINITELY recommend an aftermarket cooling solution for your proposed 4850/4870. Due to the heat of the countries you've stated, you will need one.

Soldato
I would be looking for the best cooling that you can, a TRUE would be recommended. The Corsair is a great buy. Get a newer 4870 graphics card, and an Asus P5Q Pro motherboard. As you won't be overclocking (very understandable) you might want to wait for the newer E8600 chips to come out. Hopefully, you can run them at as low a voltage as you can.

Soldato
Capture-67.jpg

8GB RAM, and because you are not OCing, theres not need for the PC8500 IMO.

Associate
OP
You are travelling around the world with a desktop?

Well, I usually stay over for more than 6 months (sometimes nearly an year) since I am contracting. So where ever I go, it becomes a second home tbh. I can't really upgrade a laptop often, and it can never replace a desktop.

Back
Top Bottom