Urgent carb help needed

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I've swapped the intake and carb over on my car. I'm not 100% sure what the carb is off but it could be off a 1500cc Consul and it's either a Zenith or a Solex.

I'm having running problems. I've had it in bits and checked all the jets and they all seem to be clear, the float floats and shuts the fuel off and I can get it to idle. If I open the throttle it hisses and stalls. It's running lean and dying basically.

When I open the throttle there's no squirt jet and I think there should be one. Down the carb barrel there's the main jet poking in from the side and a brass jet next to it. There is what looks like a throttle pump if you look at these pictures:

carb_bowl1.jpg

The main jet is cast into the side of the float bowl, you can see it sticking out to the right and there's a brass jet next to it that I think should be a throttle squirt.

carb_bowl2.jpg

Second picture, middle top, down the bore is a spring loaded piston. If I push it down I get a squirt of petrol out the recessed brass jet to the right of it. If I block the top of it with my finger I get a squirt out the brass jet next to the main jet. However, when the float bowl is on the carb, see the way it's recessed, it just seems to pump the fuel back into the float bowl rather than squirt it out the side jet into the airflow. I'm wondering if there should be a rubber plug over the top of it so it squirts out the side jet rather than out the top?

Anyone recognise this carb or know what's supposed to happen? Am I missing a part?

Soldato
Ah, there's a ball in there is there! And it doesn't appear to be moving. Could be onto something. Nice find!

Damn thing is seized in the thread though, what an annoyance.

Seized jets can be an utter barstool to get out. One trick is to get a hot air gun (not blow lamp!) onto the carb body and get it nice and hot before trying the jets again.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
It runs!

Borrowed a carb off a legendary mate. It happened to be identical to mine but knackered spindle and choke mechanism so I used the body off mine and the float bowl off his. Idles good, huge flat spot and loads of top end just how I like it

Mart, yup it's a Consul 1500 carb as suspected.

Anyway, diagnosis was that top ball valve is definitely jammed so there's no throttle pump.

I'll keep an eye out for a 30mm carb to replace this one (32mm) because it should cure the stumble and flat spot.

Back
Top Bottom