Decent media player

Associate
If using xp, there is a kernel streaming plugin for winamp that bypasses the sound mixer of xp without the need for ASIO sound card drivers. Whilst i suspect the difference is minimal, audio is subjective and it 'could' sound a little better. This doesnt apply to vista since the way in which it processes audio is slightly different. Of course, ASIO drivers and foobar would achieve the same thing, so this is perhaps a slightly trivial argument, but it may help the OP in his quest for good sound...

Soldato
J.River Media Center 12 :)
Fantastic app, and customisable to the hills and back!
Added to that, there's no other application that I've ever found capable of handling a 230,000 odd file media library (Audio, video and images plus associated junk)

My only gripe is the lack of a relational DB, but you can't have everything :D

http://www.jrmediacenter.com

-Leezer-

Associate
Rhythmbox.

Although actually I'm not sure if there is a windows version of that. If not, I'd just settle for iTunes - with or without an ipod, it does the job nicely.

Soldato
There shouldn't be any slow down either. As databases go, a 12k one is pretty damn basic. An SQL database is hardly needed for 12,000 tracks.

For the record, I use Foobar for music, Media Player for one-off tracks, and KMPlayer for video (though stick with Media Center for recorded programs)..

Soldato
Winamp (v5.54) for music - I even went so far as to pay for it about 4 years ago to get the Pro bits!..,
VLC/MPC-HC for Videos/DVD's (Not found a file I can't play yet!!)

Don
Foobar is what you want, it's like a heavily cut down (ie, the crap cut out) itunes, and totally customizable

I use winamp lite, without the agent etc, i just drag the album folder into winamp when i want it played, i'm just used to this, and probably won't change..

but Foobar is what you're after mate :), awesome software

rjd

rjd

Associate
HI all

I must put in a good word for XMplay.

Small size and low CPU use. Default skin is not to my liking but other skins are available.

To my ears, WMA files (192kbs) sound better than when played on other media players I have tried, including Windows Media Play.

Well worth a try if sound quality is important to you.

Soldato
OP
Dam, its been a busy week, have been trying out your suggestions and the winner is.....,
MediaMonkey for now :D
Im still playing around with J.River Media Center as I had never heard of it.

Its not Amarok but I like the feel over foobar, and felt that winamp was a step backwards as although it has some good options, it is so slow opening my collection.

Cheers for all the help guys

Associate
Dunno if I'm doing something wrong but everytime I open mediamonkey it "reads my tracks" (about 11GB worth in my music folder) and takes about a minute to do it.

:confused:

Soldato
i use media monkey for music and VLC for vids hate media player too slow

I think its set to scan all your music on opening everytime as default, which is stupid i agree, turn it off inthe options. It still scans as you add music with this option turned off which i think is much better :)

I've not found a more versatile music jukebox software compared to MM. If there is one i'd love to know :)

Associate
I'm a geek, I built my own media player. It's a bit buggy though, looks like crap and is called "-", but hey, I was proud of it. I may even get it to proper alpha stage yet :)

Back
Top Bottom