Poker players - recommend me a book

Soldato
So I've started playing online poker for small stakes on 1/2cent no-limit Texas Hold 'em tables. Although I'm really enjoying it and learning slowly from my own mistakes, my bankroll does appear to be slowly diminishing overall.

I know there's a few experienced players here and I was wondering if anyone could kindly point me in the direction of a good book (or other resource) for beginners?

Associate
You don't need a book just play tight and I mean only pay to see the flop 1 in 10 or even 20.This means throwing that k8 and a7 unsuited away pre flop.Looser play is only for the end of tourneys.

Associate
You don't need a book just play tight and I mean only pay to see the flop 1 in 10 or even 20.This means throwing that k8 and a7 unsuited away pre flop.Looser play is only for the end of tourneys.

Thats awful advice for 1/2c! you have to be able to adjust your game to the players on the table, on a 1/2c game they'll be VERY lose, almost like playing 'play money' also A7 can be an awful hand pre-flop, it can also be well worth playing, depending on position.

Go read a book ;)

Harrington on hold'em is great if you play tourneys, worth a read even if you dont!

Associate
Poker books are old hat. Online training is where it's at now. There are quite a few sites but I think Cardrunners is the best. Sign up is pretty expensive but it's definately worth it as you can watch countless videos (with commentary) of top online pros. So instead of getting bored to tears by book theory, you can discover how these guys approach both the common and unique situations that arise in every session.

I've read harrington on hold em and a bunch of other poker books but watching actual poker in progress has helped my game immensely. I used to be a pretty average 50NL player ebbing out a little profit, but since learning from these guys I've been smashing the 100NL games for 40£/hour (multitabling). I think you can get membership for free if you play on Full Tilt and collect enough bonus points, but you'd have to play at least 100NL to make it realistically attainable.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm sure other people can give you lists of books that will help you but I've learned more watching the High Stakes Poker series on youtube then I have doing anything else (thus far of course). Its a great show and features most of the top NL players in the world. Its great entertainment and you can learn a lot. Likewise im sure there are lots of other poker shows out there that can help you in the same way but I definitely rate High Stakes Poker.

Associate
Harrington on hold'em is great if you play tourneys, worth a read even if you dont!

He also does some cash game books and I strongly recommend them, they improved my game quite a lot. You pick up lots of small things that you wouldn't have considered before reading, great value for money.

Associate
Harrington yes, well first 2 volumes anyway

Slansky - maybe when he has more experience

Supersystem I wouldn't recommend

I'd say any book on poker is worth a read to see how different individuals approach the game.

Then you can make your own unique style. One that suits you and your bankroll/limits.

I agree Slanksy might not be worth it.

Soldato
Would go with above advice but LIMIT holdem is far easier and arguably more skilful game then nolimit.

If you fancy trying limit then Small stakes holdem by D Slansky is the bible

Also try twoplustwoforums lots of info on there

Back
Top Bottom