Power off / shut down Abit IP35 Pro

Associate
Hello

Just a quick question.

Is it normal for when you shut down your computer by using "shut down" in windows (rather than hibernate or stand by) for the motherboard to still be drawing power?

I ask as when I shut down my system the mouse (connected by PS/2 cable) still remains lit (it is a colour shift glow thing) and the POST display on the motherboard are still lit. To get full power shut down I have to switch off the PSU at the back.

Is this normal? I'm not used to this on my previous (basic) systems and would prefer my new system to behave in the same way for convenience and power saving.

It is an Abit IP35 Pro on Vista 64.

Thanks

Associate
Hi,

Yes it's normal, been using a IP35Pro since it came out around 15 months ago.

If you have a usb flash drive still plugged into a usb port and you remove it in this shut down state you will find the PC will boot:eek:

It's meant to be like this so that Lan boot and or keyboard key boot can still work. To 100% shut down you need to switch off at the mains or pull plug the plug etc... ;)

Associate
OP
Oh well, it's not to my preference and previous experience but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Thanks for clarifying and confirming there's not a wrong connection somewhere.

Man of Honour
Though not all mobos will provide power to the USB ports, all mobos will by default be in standby mode unless you turn off the PSU at the back (unless you turn the power switch off at the wall).

The power usage is minimal.

Man of Honour
It might be possible to turn that off, does the board have "Boot USB" or similar option? You can also change the standby states with some BIOS.

The "Boot USB" option might only change whether or not the board looks for removable devices but it might also turn them off in standby :)

Soldato
Thanks

Any reason for this? I thought the preference would be for a typical full power off??

Most motherboards have had options to keep the USB ports powered for years now, and its normally the default.

1) recharging wireless USB mice while computer is off
2) the ability to turn on by waving mouse, or pressing keys

The system should only draw a few watts at the most, even in Sleep with the memory powered up the max power should be around 10-15W. In "off" state 3-7 watts or so depending on what usb devices you have.

Of course with a glowing mouse its a little more obvious that the USB port is powered. Even the power button on modern PC's is an electronic switch rather than a fully mechanical isolator, so the PC's in a very low power "standby" setting.

I believe that most PC's also supply a tiny amount of power to the CMOS to extend the battery life of the lithium cell. (IE the battery is mostly used during a power cut, or if you disconnect the PSU etc).

Back
Top Bottom