Is it wrong for somebody to have the 'wrong' guitar?

Soldato
I'd always promised myself when I got to the level that deserved it I would buy myself a genuine Les Paul. Sadly I don't think I'll ever be at level, so I bought a bass instead. I think you should only buy a nice guitar when you've earned the right to play it.

Associate
elroberto said:
I'd always promised myself when I got to the level that deserved it I would buy myself a genuine Les Paul. Sadly I don't think I'll ever be at level, so I bought a bass instead. I think you should only buy a nice guitar when you've earned the right to play it.

No no no no no. If you want a nice guitar then do it - there are no rules. It's like a lot of things in life - WANT > NEED.

Associate
like buying a lotus exige but only using it to pick up shopping from tescos - waste of money but if you've got the money to spend, why not right? i see the point dmpoole is trying to make

nothing wrong with this kid having a nice guitar though - maybe a bit of a waste for the stuff he's playing

Soldato
i'm not an amazing guitar player by any stretch of the imagination, since going uni the time i spend playing has decreased dramatically, but one day i had the cash to buy the decent stuff so i did (old pics in the gear thread), its nice to play on the decent stuff, the sound difference is amazing.

So fair enough if the guy can't play to good but can afford decent kit. No harm in that. Ability does not nessisarily increase with wallet size. (neither does spelling ability for that matter, lol)

Associate
Alright then, heres a question I pop at you. As a guitarist, I'm more of a 'bedroom rocker' than an active gigger if you get what I mean. I have a pretty top of the range guitar (Parker Fly) and my ability is far from tip top. Who knows, you might be scoffing inside when you watch me play.

I know that bit of kit is far above my level of playing.

I worked a whole summer in KFC (4 months) and spent 95% of my earnings on that guitar. 5 days a week in KFC serving greasey crap just to get my hands on something I wanted so badly and had for so long. I earned my money and it took a lot of patience, but I got there.

Therefore I fully think I deserve my guitar. Do you?

This post gets the thumbs up from me.

Man of Honour
OP
Do those thumbs have severe arthritis? It was 2006 ;).

Holy revival.
I missed Nitefly's post the first time around but I'm absolutely 100% positive he isn't as bad as the guitarist in my OP.
The guitarist in my OP couldn't string 2 chords together and 2 years on I think he's quit.

And of course the reverse is true -
I went to watch a band last week where the guitarist had a cheap no name guitar but truly deserved the PRS in my OP.

Associate
I know aht the OP means, a PRS custom is something you should earn a right to play lol, not any old schmuck should be able to buy it, I think they should invoke a guitar test where if you pass it you get licence to buy it or any other top quality guitars, to make sure the standard of the guitarist is ready for the quality of the guitar:D

Associate
Not a daft question at all, people that want to learn should get cheaper instruments imo. You wouldn't go and get a Ferrari right after you pass you're test would you.

And yes a PRS of that kind is the Ferrari of the guitar world.

Soldato
The funniest example I've seen of this was a drummer from a covers band, playing at a wedding we were hosting. I was chatting to him about his kit and it was aesthetically identical to Neal Peart's Drum Workshop kit. He'd spent £8,500 on it... Suffice to say, I was eagerly awaiting his performance, but he was worse than bad. He was shocking by anyone's standards, let alone someone with an £8,500 DW kit. I don't see anything wrong with a musician of that standard owning a kit like that, but I really think it's pointless. One of the best drummers I've ever seen EVER plays (or played) a £300 Ludwig kit that he got from eBay, and he made it sound like it was worth £1,000,000.

Associate
Not a daft question at all, people that want to learn should get cheaper instruments imo. You wouldn't go and get a Ferrari right after you pass you're test would you.

And yes a PRS of that kind is the Ferrari of the guitar world.

rich kids would, hell most people would if they could afford it:D

Associate
See in my opinion, would having a better instrument help improve is technical ability? (a meaningless point if DMP is correct and the guy has quit) Being a Semi Pro saxophone player i know that paying £2500+ and getting a fantastic saxophone will help because really its an easier instrument to play, everything on it is perfect - which in turns helps the player to get better and sound better quicker. I've played on sax's worth £200 and they are not worth the metal they are made of.

Is it not the same for guitars?

Associate
See in my opinion, would having a better instrument help improve is technical ability? (a meaningless point if DMP is correct and the guy has quit) Being a Semi Pro saxophone player i know that paying £2500+ and getting a fantastic saxophone will help because really its an easier instrument to play, everything on it is perfect - which in turns helps the player to get better and sound better quicker. I've played on sax's worth £200 and they are not worth the metal they are made of.

Not really, if you can get good on a rubbish guitar then when you play on a good one you'll sound better plus it'll feel better.

Associate
and would prob crash

making sense yet?

But still would tho right? I mean i dont think any 17 year old who just past his test if given the option of a fiesta or ferrari is going to go with the fiesta cos he's inexperienced at driving.

A friend of mine who is now amazing at guitar said he purposely bought a real expensive guitar to learn on as it gave him an incentive to learn an progress to a better guitaris, as in "i didnt spend all this money on an amazing guitar to be crap at it".

Man of Honour
OP

Absolutely, same rules apply.

The other day I had a brand new Ovation in my hands that played like absolute crap.
There was no way I could ever play it on stage if I had to.
I messed with the truss rod, put new Martin 10 strings on it and it plays like a dream.
The owner felt the difference straightaway and I know he's the type that will improve now its easier to play on.

I wouldn't have thought you could 'set up' a sax like you can a cheap guitar.
I have a really good collection of top guitars but the best one is a £200 Variax that my mate set up for me.
A really well setup cheap guitar can feel just as good as an expensive guitar and of course the better the feel the better you will be likely to improve.

Just to re-iterate my OP before somebody comes along and completely twists it.

1 - You walk in a pub and see fantastic equipment.
2 - You immediately think that these guys must be good because of the many years you've witnessed gear/talent.
3 - They go on and they can't put 2 notes together.
4 - I think "What the hell are they doing with gear like that?"

Of course, anybody can buy whatever they like but sometimes things don't go together.
It would be like me buying a Ferrari to go 3 miles up the road to work and back at 10mph.

Associate
Of course, anybody can buy whatever they like but sometimes things don't go together.
It would be like me buying a Ferrari to go 3 miles up the road to work and back at 10mph.

I agree with this(i just like to give both sides of the story ;)) its like maybe the guy will turn into an amazing guitarist, but why spend so much money on a guitar which is built for enthusiasts when he clearly isnt. If he's playing simple guitar music then he could probably get the tone he wanted from a cheap guitar. At the end of the day its probably cos he thinks it looks cool, same with people when it comes to Ferraris:cool:

Soldato
I would say if he realises what he's got, appreciates it and he gets pleasure out of using the guitar, then of course he "deserves" it.

Maybe a shame if you expect to see someone play it like a guitar virtuoso, but that's just assumption, which isn't a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom