Your getting £10 Million!!!!

Man of Honour
Exactly, they would put it in a low risk bond / commercial paper

(roughly 3-4%)

Going by your argument, I should get the mortgage, that way I could put the whole 10m on red..

My advice (if you read it) was that although you could make more money elsewhere why have the hassle of the mortgage. As for the contention that a sophisticated investor would put £10m in a low risk bond, that is totally and utterly laughable. A sophisticated investor would place the money in a range of investments, some bonds, some more liquid money with banks, some may be in a hedge fund of funds, some with private equity, some in real estate, you get the picture. I don't think I implied gambling at all or even anything vaguely high risk.

If your only objective was to not put any of your capital at risk then your option would be incredibly dull but would achieve it, albeit significantly impacting your potential for growth.

Man of Honour
It would be great to think you could bank the 10 million and live off the interest but once you know the money is there you'll start digging into it.
Does this also mean that if you see a £50,000 car you want you will have it on the knock too?

I know a fool who did something similar but not with as much money.
He won 60 grand and decided to buy a house which was 60 grand.
After talking with an 'expert' he banked the money to pay his 60 grand mortgage off.
He sold his terraced house for 20 grand and filled his new house with 20 grands worth of goods and repairs.
Everything was tickety boo until he decided he wanted a 25 grand car and then a 5 grand holiday.
Very soon he had spent all the money and he was left with a 60 grand mortgage which he couldn't pay and ended up selling the house.

If I had 10 million I'd buy it outright because I know it would be hard not to spend the money in the bank.

Caporegime
It would be great to think you could bank the 10 million and live off the interest but once you know the money is there you'll start digging into it.
Does this also mean that if you see a £50,000 car you want you will have it on the knock too?

I know a fool who did something similar but not with as much money.
He won 60 grand and decided to buy a house which was 60 grand.
After talking with an 'expert' he banked the money to pay his 60 grand mortgage off.
He sold his terraced house for 20 grand and filled his new house with 20 grands worth of goods and repairs.
Everything was tickety boo until he decided he wanted a 25 grand car and then a 5 grand holiday.
Very soon he had spent all the money and he was left with a 60 grand mortgage which he couldn't pay and ended up selling the house.

If I had 10 million I'd buy it outright because I know it would be hard not to spend the money in the bank.

Sounds like a mate of mine! Similar situation although around £100k - He's an Idiot! :p

I'd be happy to have the £10M and then decide! :D

Soldato
buy pretigious city apartment, outright. worry not over whether in 10 years i have 9.5million + compound interest or 10 million + compound interest because it makes NO REAL DIFFERENCE

Soldato
Hold fire,

Who'll give you a mortgage based solely on what's in your bank and not your earnings?

So you might want a 400k house...........if you're earning £100k a year then fine, but I'm guessing you don't.

If this is the case, this question and thread is terrible!

Associate
Hold fire,

Who'll give you a mortgage based solely on whats in your bank and not your earnings?

So you might want a 400k house,...........if you're earning £100k a year then fine, but I'm guessing you dont.

.......erm 10m at 5% is approx 500k pa gross income

Caporegime
Hold fire,

Who'll give you a mortgage based solely on what's in your bank and not your earnings?

So you might want a 400k house...........if you're earning £100k a year then fine, but I'm guessing you don't.

well with thr 10 mill in banks he'd be earing well over 100k every year.

Back
Top Bottom