Paypal, what?

M0T

M0T

Soldato
I tried to buy something on ebay earlier for £34, only to discover that paypal have decided to impose a sending limit of £30.36 on my account until it is verified.

I have read their site an apparently there is a limit for legal reasons and that all unverified users have limits. Strangely this limit has not appeared in the past 4 years I have been using paypal (to the tune of several thousand pounds).

What gets me is that in order to verify my account I have to set up a direct debit allowing them to place money into my bank account. Why does this need a direct debit to be set up? I have had companies deposit money directly in to my bank account before and have never required a direct debit to be used (which takes up to 5 days and not allowing me to pay for my item).

Soldato
Why have you been unverified for four years?

If (like you say) it's to the tune of several thousand pounds then I would recommend spending the few seconds it takes to get verified...

M0T

M0T

Soldato
OP

If (like you say) it's to the tune of several thousand pounds then I would recommend spending the few seconds it takes to get verified...

But it doesn't take a few seconds to get verified, it takes 5 days. Why would I want paypal to have all my bank details, how does this benefit me in any way?

Soldato
But it doesn't take a few seconds to get verified, it takes 5 days. Why would I want paypal to have all my bank details, how does this benefit me in any way?

It takes YOU a few seconds. Yes you would have to wait, but for a few seconds of effort and a little wait there really is nothing to complain about.

And you want them to have your bank details because thats how the whole 'buying things online' works.

M0T

M0T

Soldato
OP
It takes YOU a few seconds.

And you want them to have your bank details because thats how the whole 'buying things online' works.

It takes a few seconds with a wait of up to 5 days. Why would I want them to have all of my bank details, when they already have my card details? Why would I want to bypass the insurance I have on card purchases by allowing them direct access to my bank account?

Man of Honour
I see. So giving a reason for your opinion is beneath you?

Not in the least bit, if you'd been clear with your 'question'; I'd have furnished you with the answer you sought.

Read the top sticky of this forum, just the last couple of pages. Everything they could fail on they did. I rank them as worse than BT.

Commissario

IIRC whilst there is a law that does require it for amounts over a certain limit, of if you transfer X amount a year (money laundering/anti-terrorism laws), PP use that as a blanket excuse when they don't need to legally (5k in a single go would probably require reporting, 5k in a year might require reporting, 5k in small amounts to many different people over 5 years probably wouldn't), it works in their favour if you become verified as it then means they have your bank details on record...

Man of Honour
Sorry. I personally thought it was pretty clear what I was getting at. I'll try to make sure my questions are more GD-proof in the future.

If I hadn't used the single word you used in my post it would have been clearer. Don't put your failings on me, it isn't my fault you failed to construct, well, anything.

Soldato

Because when someone decides to scam you, Paypal will just do their usual "we don't care" thing and take the money from you without your permission.

If you just have a credit card linked, you can get your CC company to tell Paypal to, quite frankly, clear off.

Your bank don't do that, so Paypal have clear run to rip you off for as much as they see fit. And they know that, so they use thin excuses and crap to try and get you to hand your details over.

One word. DON'T.

Either stay with your CC, or, if you can, just use BT in future.

Associate
Paypal needed me to be verified for a transaction so I bit the bullet and added in my account details.

Eventually I got fed up with PP taking money from my bank account for purchases rather than my CC (despite selecting the 'use my CC' box) so removed my bank account and cancelled the direct debit leaving only my CC linked to my paypal account.

I'm still verified :)

Associate
Because when someone decides to scam you, Paypal will just do their usual "we don't care" thing and take the money from you without your permission.

If you just have a credit card linked, you can get your CC company to tell Paypal to, quite frankly, clear off.

Your bank don't do that, so Paypal have clear run to rip you off for as much as they see fit. And they know that, so they use thin excuses and crap to try and get you to hand your details over.

One word. DON'T.

Essentially that's exactly it. Defending Paypal's business practices is just being ignorant.

Man of Honour
gah, never had a problem with paypal... a lot of bitterness here, maybe from people who either don't know how to work paypal, or maybe have lost passwords to trojans / scams.

if you can't use a service as simple as paypal, you should not be using a online service like them at all...

Back
Top Bottom